To me, the cupcake is a thing of wonder. When done correctly, it resonates of all that is right about desserts. Easier to master than an intricate layer cake, these individual cakes are more forgiving than most cakes ever dreamed of being. And if you mess one up, your entire bunch hasn’t gone to waste.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup buttermilk
2 tsp. strawberry extract
2 tsp. red food coloring
2. Line 2 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake liners
3. Mix flours together and set aside
4. With an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar; gradually add in eggs, one at a time.
5. Add in flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with four. Mix in extract and food coloring.
6. Spoon batter into muffin tins and bake for 20-25 minutes.