Party Platter Sunday

May 2, 2011

For a while now, Joey and I have been in search of a ‘family tradition’ to start as we march closer to July 9th. Growing up, my family never really had a Sunday night food tradition but a lot of my friend’s families did. Popcorn and M&Ms for dinner, make your own meal, Sunday night pizza dinner, you get the picture.

Tonight Joey and I finally stumbled upon a soon-to-be tradition that feels right for us! We’re calling it Party Platter Sunday. Exciting, I know. šŸ™‚

Tonight’s party platter was courtesy of a trip to Trader Joe’s this afternoon. It included:
-Sun Dried Tomato, Basil and Provolone Chicken Meatballs (for him)
-Steamed green beans with grated Parmesan cheese
-Sliced pears
-Sharp white cheddar cheese
-Raw broccoli
-Multi-grain crackers
-Trader Joe’s White Bean and Basil Hummus (amazing!)

Eating this way was so much fun! And the mix-and-match style took the pressure off me to come up with something orchestrated and cohesive. I can imagine in the future it would also be a great way to empty out the fridge and pantry.

As our wedding gets closer, I get even more excited to start more traditions like this. Do any of your have Sunday night traditions?

Happy Monday, everyone!

• Reply Lindsay May 2, 2011 at 2:04 am

My fiance and I have a Monday night tradition of sushi. Sushi every monday! That platter looks awesome!

• Reply Megan May 2, 2011 at 2:45 am

I love traditions! I like that you two are making the effort to make them šŸ™‚

• Reply Shaina. May 2, 2011 at 6:28 am

Lurker here! Are you guys getting married on July 9? You picked a lovely date – that's my birthday! šŸ™‚
    As for Sunday night traditions, I don't have any – like you, I didn't get too much in the way of kitchen memories or bonding growing up. I do hope to start some of my own someday!

• Reply Lauren at Keep It Sweet May 2, 2011 at 10:24 am

I love that idea! Sometimes a mix of food like that is the perfect meal!

• Reply Michelle May 2, 2011 at 1:02 pm

What a great idea! We have homemade pizza friday- we try to make a different kind every weekend

• Reply helen May 2, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I love the platter idea! We do not have traditions on a certain weeknight per say, but we do have some traditions like we order pizza on nights before my husbands fishing tournaments.

• Reply Urban Wife May 2, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I love traditions! My hubbie and I don't really have one (maybe eating out occassionally on a Friday night) but growing up, my family *almost* always had grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup every Sunday night.

• Reply Rachel @ The Avid Appetite May 2, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I absolutely love the idea of starting traditions with the significant other šŸ™‚ I think it's so important to carry on your own, but embark on new ones together. This is such a fun idea! I love it!

• Reply Jesse May 2, 2011 at 4:19 pm

yummy, its like a giant snack plate. i love having so many different tastes at dinner time and mixing it up. enjoy your new tradition!

• Reply classic case May 2, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Oh yum! I love it. My family had popcorn Sundays, but I like this idea way better. And I must try that hummus!

• Reply Madison Mayberry May 3, 2011 at 2:08 am

Shaina-
    We ARE getting married on July 9th! Seems like it's a pretty great day all around. šŸ™‚

Michelle –
    I love the homemade pizza Friday idea. Maybe Joey and I will have to adopt more than one tradition!

• Reply Natalie Clark May 18, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Growing up it was always Breakfast for dinner on Sunday nights. I decided since I liked it so much, my husband and I would carry on the tradition when we got married. It's been a big hit!!