Homemade Almond Joy Candy Bars

August 29, 2011

Hey, friends! I hope you had a great weekend. My mom spent the weekend with us, which meant Joey and I spent the weekend trying to keep up with her. We played tennis, grilled out and went on an 8-mile run this morning. Exactly how I like to spend my weekend.
For as long as I remember, I’ve been intrigued by the idea of making my own candy bars. I don’t really have a clue why, since I can’t remember the last time I ate a full-sized candy bar or purchased one at the store, but it’s intrigued me none the less.
Of course making homemade Snickers intimidates the heck out of me, and don’t ask me how to recreate that filling inside a Milky Way. So to begin my candy bar making adventures, I stuck with something approachable: an Almond Joy.
I suppose it’s only fitting that the recipe I found when I Googled ‘Homemade Almond Joy’ was from Joy the Baker. Trust me, her recipe does not disappoint. We’ve been keeping these babies in our fridge for the last week or so and I can only imagine they would make a great treat wrapped up in waxed paper and tied with a ribbon.

Homemade Almond Joy Candy Bars
Recipe Courtesy of Joy the Baker
Ingredients
*7 ounces sweetened condensed milk
*1 cup powdered sugar
*1 tablespoon vanilla extract
*Pinch of salt
*2 1/2 cups unsweetened flake coconut
*30 almonds
*20 ounces good quality milk chocolate chips
Instructions
*In a large bowl, combine the sweetened condensed milk, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, salt and coconut. Stir until well combined. Refrigerate mixture until ready to use.
*Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside. Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave, melting in 30-second intervals until it is completely smooth.
*Form the coconut mixture into 30 oval-shaped clusters. Press an almond into the center of each cluster.
*Place one coconut cluster on a fork. Use a spoon to scoop a bit of chocolate over the almond.  This will help the almond stick to the candy and not fall off during dipping.  Lower fork into chocolate and spoon chocolate over candy to coat.  Lift fork and gently shake to release some of the chocolate.  Scrape the bottom of the fork along the side of the bowl and place on the lined baking sheet.
*Allow chocolate clusters to harden, at least an hour.
Happy Baking!

• Reply bperry August 29, 2011 at 2:43 am

OOHHHH…this does not bode well for my diet. BUT lovely, none the less! I must try them, now that two of my favorite food bloggers posted them!

• Reply MadisonMayberry August 29, 2011 at 1:27 pm

It doesn’t bode well for my diet, either! Thankfully they are easy to give away to friends and family and transport well on the way to work. 🙂

• Reply bperry August 30, 2011 at 2:23 am

Haha VERY SHREWD, MADAM, VERY SHREWD, INDEED… 😉

• Reply gtilley December 11, 2013 at 11:05 am

is the sweetened condensed milk by weight or is it7 ounces as in almost a cup?

• Madison Mayberry December 11, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Ounces, as in almost a cup! 🙂 Using a liquid measure.

• Reply Lauren at Keep It Sweet August 29, 2011 at 11:32 am

Sounds like a wonderful weekend with your Mom! I love the idea of homemade candy bars!

• Reply MadisonMayberry August 29, 2011 at 1:28 pm

It was, indeed, a wonderful weekend! It’s crazy how fast the weekend went by! 🙁

• Reply Clara August 29, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Mmm delicious! Almonds joys are one of my favorite candy bars. And don’t you love Joy? Her recipes are incredible.

• Reply MadisonMayberry August 29, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Joy is amazing! I love the way she can make you feel as if you were right there in the kitchen with her. 🙂

• Reply Jesse August 29, 2011 at 6:08 pm

i need to make these for my mother and MIL, they’re the biggest coconut fiends around:)

• Reply MadisonMayberry August 30, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Trust me, they will not disappoint!

• Reply Helennaturally August 31, 2011 at 12:07 am

I am going to have to make a mounds verion of these…..that is my favorite candy bar!

• Reply Fatgarfield2002 March 23, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Good idea. That’s my favorite, too.

• Reply natalie (thesweetslife) August 31, 2011 at 1:31 am

um, seriously SERIOUSLY drooling over these! i’ve been wanting to make them ever since i saw them on joy’s site and now you have me convinced i need to do it asap 🙂

• Reply Rocky March 23, 2012 at 9:02 pm

My Honeybug’s favorite candy. Now I can make them for him. Thanks so much.