Peanut-Walnut Butter

August 31, 2011

Since we have been married, Joey has been shocked at the amount of peanut butter I consume each week. When, like me, you eat a couple tablespoons of the stuff each day, it doesn’t last long. Instead of picking up another jar of Smuckers Natural Creamy Peanut Butter, I decided last week that it would be fun to start making my own nut butter again.

It’s an amazingly simple process to whirl together your own nut butter, and I love how easy it is to customize the blend based on your specific tastes or allergy restrictions. I’ve made pure walnut butter before, but felt that it was lacking something without the extra zing of salty peanuts or another more flavorful nut. So this time, I used a combination of walnuts and peanuts for a smooth, creamy and slightly salty spread that is perfect atop toast or served with sliced apples.

If you’re interested in some of the other combinations I’ve put together, you can see them here:
*Make Your Own Nut Butter
*Cashew Butter

Also, just a reminder that our Fund for Jennie Auction is open until 10 pm tonight! The bid for our baked goods gift basket is now up to $225. Let’s keep the bidding going! If you’re interested, you can find the auction HERE. And thank you all so much for your kindness and generosity.

Peanut-Walnut Butter
Ingredients
*3 cups lightly salted peanuts
*2 cups unsalted walnut halves
*1/4 cup olive oil
*1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Instructions
*Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Blend for two to three minutes, scraping own the sides occasionally, until mixture is smooth and creamy. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Happy Cooking!

• Reply Lauren at Keep It Sweet August 31, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I’ve never made a nut butter with walnuts before but I bet that adds a wonderful creamy texture!

• Reply Sara @my less serious life August 31, 2011 at 7:49 pm

wow, this sounds easier than i though it would be! yum yum!

• Reply MadisonMayberry September 1, 2011 at 10:18 am

It’s so easy Sara! I was shocked the first time I made homemade peanut butter.

• Reply Clara August 31, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Hey Madison! What are your thoughts on using pistachios to make nut butter, do you think that would work? I never thought of making nut butter with walnuts, but if that worked, I can’t imagine other nuts wouldn’t… right?

• Reply MadisonMayberry September 1, 2011 at 10:17 am

Clara – Good question! I’ve never thought of making a nut butter with pistachios but I would imagine you could! I did a little digging and even found that Heidi over at 101 Cookbooks even made a sweet version of pistachio butter: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/000750.html Let me know if you decide to make some!

• Reply Clara September 1, 2011 at 2:35 pm

You know it must be good if it comes from Heidi! I’ll have to try this.

• Reply mustardseed September 4, 2011 at 12:13 pm

What a great idea! Am going to try this out…thanks for the recipe. I love the name of you blog too as these are often the two things that keep me going on a busy day!