Green Cleaning: Stainless Steel

September 21, 2011
{Before}
{Before}
{Before}

As long as I can remember, I’ve lived in a house or apartment with stainless steel appliances and bathroom fixtures. And beautiful as they may be, they are a pain in the but to clean. Despite my best intentions and using stainless steel cleaner, I always struggled to get my steel to shine.

Last weekend my mom stayed with us on Saturday night. Being the mom that she is, she got to work cleaning our apartment and polishing our fixtures and appliances with her new, greener cleaning technique: olive oil.

Although I was skeptical at first, once I saw the results I was sold. Even Joey commented on how great our fridge looked, and that’s not something he typically remarks on. The best part: it’s super simple and doesn’t require anything more than a paper towel or thin cloth and a bit of olive oil from your pantry.

What you need:
-Thin cleaning cloth or paper towel
-Olive oil

How it’s done:
-Put a small amount of olive oil onto the cloth or paper towel. Use dampened cloth to buff the stainless steel. Re-dampen the cloth as needed.

{After}
{After}
Amazing, right? Don’t ask me why I let my faucets get so bad in the first place, but rest assured my entire house looks much cleaner than it did a few days ago!
Happy Cleaning!

• Reply Jen O'Leary September 21, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Baking Soda works wonders too! That’s my go-to for stainless steel since I spend too much on olive oil…

• Reply Clara September 21, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Oh my goodness, genius! I had no idea olive oil did that. Moms are just the best :).

• Reply Katie September 21, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Olive oil! Who would’ve guessed? Thanks for the tip. šŸ™‚

• Reply Cindy @ The Flipping Couple September 21, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Wow! That’s quite the transformation. I had no idea, thanks for sharing the tip!

• Reply Cara Robles September 21, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Oh my gosh! That’s so awesome. I’m gonna go pick up a cheap bottle of olive oil and try it out. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing šŸ™‚

• Reply Lauren at Keep It Sweet September 21, 2011 at 6:12 pm

i never would have thought of that! did they end up greasy at all??

• Reply Tanja Hester September 22, 2011 at 11:01 pm

You just blew my mind! What a great tip. And I LOVE that the best solution comes without toxic chemicals. Will you please make my day and also say that the oil has a protective effect that prevents new droplets and other yuckiness from returning quite so quickly???

• Reply Nattymcglynn September 23, 2011 at 10:18 pm

That’s awesome, thanks Mom! I’ll try this out this weekend. I feel like I can never get those fingerprints off the front of the fridge! šŸ™‚