Healthy Pumpkin Butter

September 18, 2011

Although it’s only the middle of September, the pumpkin eating is in full-swing over here. Since last week when I first spotted it on the shelves of the grocery store, I’ve eaten five 15-ounce cans on my own. Some might call it excessive; I call it celebrating fall.

My favorite way to eat pumpkin is spread atop peanut butter toast. And although I would gladly eat it plain, I find most people prefer to have their pumpkin sweetened and spiced up a bit. Pumpkin butter over the commercial variety has always been a bit sweet for my liking and generally negates the healthy elements of pumpkin puree.

This Healthy Pumpkin Butter is the best of both worlds – slightly sweet and chock full of spice, it functions well as a spread, dip, stirred into oatmeal or when stirred together with vanilla yogurt and topped with granola.

Healthy Pumpkin Butter
Ingredients
*28-ounces pumpkin puree
*1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
*1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
*1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
*1 tablespoon honey
*1 tablespoon stevia or other natural sweetener

Instructions
*Combine all the above ingredients in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture is hot and cooked through. Be careful to stir frequently so as not to burn the pumpkin. Remove from heat and transfer to a sealed container. Refrigerate until ready to eat.

Happy Cooking!

• Reply Meagan Moughamian September 19, 2011 at 1:11 am

As much as I love all things pumpkin I’ve never heard of pumpkin butter. You can bet I’ll be making this ASAP!!

• Reply MadisonMayberry September 19, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Let me know what you think of it if you end up making it!

• Reply Meagan Moughamian September 21, 2011 at 12:56 am

This Pumpkin Butter is AMAZING! I am addicted already…thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply greensnchocolate September 19, 2011 at 1:58 am

Pumpkin butter is one of my favorite ways to eat pumpkin! Since it’s gotten so cold so quick in MN, I am in full fall food mode – bring on the pumpkin!

• Reply MadisonMayberry September 19, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I know what you mean! I’m totally embracing the cooler temps because it means I can justify eating all my favorite fall foods!

• Reply Deva September 19, 2011 at 3:10 am

This looks so good. I have never had pumpkin butter, though. Apple butter, though – I’ve had loads!

• Reply MadisonMayberry September 19, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Love apple butter, too! This is definitely not as sweet as the traditional versions of pumpkin butter, but I love that it means I can eat loads of it without feeling guilty. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Lauren at Keep It Sweet September 19, 2011 at 10:51 am

I love pumpkin anything, especially pumpkin butter! Definitely making this:-)

Let me know if you want it included in the pumpkin party!

• Reply MadisonMayberry September 19, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I would love to have it included! I love your food parties! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply lposton527 September 19, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Yum! I can't wait to try this. Have been eating a lot of pumpkin oatmeal lately too!

• Reply Serea September 19, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Pumpkin butter, itยดs a good idea, Iยดll do it!!!

• Reply Sara @my less serious life September 19, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Yum. I love your simple ideas for spreads. This is going on my list! I am in the mood to celebrate fall and was just looking for ways to use pumpkin puree.

• Reply Helennaturally September 20, 2011 at 12:35 am

Yum. I love pumpkin butter. I have been eating pumpkin like crazy here as well. I am addicted to mixing it with cream cheese and spreading on toast.

• Reply Becki Jacobs September 22, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I was very sad when I went to Trader Joe’s today and they had all of their pumpkins stuff out EXCEPT pumpkin butter. So maybe I will just make this! Great recipe:-)….and yes that is a lot of pumpkin so far!

• Reply 35 AMAZING PUMPKIN RECIPES FOR FALL September 4, 2012 at 1:34 pm

[…] Healthy Pumpkin Butter […]

• Reply Elise Marlee October 7, 2012 at 5:45 am

Sounds amazing!! can it be canned so we can have it all year? ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Madison Mayberry October 8, 2012 at 1:50 am

Elise, I’m not actually sure. I’ve done a limited amount of canning (just some salsa-making with my mother-in-law) so I’m probably the wrong person to ask. I would hate to give you the wrong information!

• Reply Tara Settembre January 10, 2013 at 8:16 pm

thank you for the recipe! I added brown sugar as the sweetener and it came out great.