Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting

September 22, 2011

We might as well christen this pumpkin week over in the Espresso and Cream kitchen. In addition to eating it non-stop in Healthy Pumpkin Butter form, I’ve also been baking with canned pumpkin.

Joey grew up with a mom who frequently had a pan of bars in some shape and form sitting around the house for hungry boys to eat. And every now and again, I like to recreate this in our home, too. Last month it was Banana Sheet Cake and this month’s version is Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting.

Of course, anything with cream cheese frosting is a hit in my book, but these bars are especially tasty and moist thanks to the canned pumpkin. As the days went by, the bars actually started to taste better, similar to the banana bread phenomenon. I would say that if you’re thinking of making them to bring somewhere, a day or two ahead of time would yield fantastic results.

Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting

*8 ounce cream cheese, softened
*1/2 cup butter, softened
*2 cups sifted powdered sugar
*1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Instructions
*Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking pan. Set aside.
*In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin puree. Beat on medium heat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
*In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients for the cake batter. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Beat until just combined. Transfer batter to the prepared pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack; cool completely.
*Meanwhile, with an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon. Beat until smooth. Spread atop the bars and cut into squares.

Happy Baking!

• Reply Samantha Angela September 22, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Sounds delicious!

• Reply Rachel @ The Avid Appetite September 22, 2011 at 3:03 pm

these look perfectly moist and pumpkiny – my favorite! and I agree, anything with cream cheese frosting is basically the best thing ever.

• Reply The Blue-Eyed Bakers September 22, 2011 at 3:17 pm

We’re so making these. The pantry’s been stocked with pumpkin and we are so ready for fall baking – these look sublime!

• Reply MadisonMayberry September 23, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Fall baking is just so much fun! Sad to see summer produce go but pumpkin is helping ease the pain. 🙂

• Reply Becki Jacobs September 22, 2011 at 8:19 pm

These look amazing. I love the combo of pumpkin and cream cheese in baked goods. This looks incredibly moist. Yum!

• Reply MadisonMayberry September 23, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Pumpkin and cream cheese is the best combo. Although pumpkin and peanut butter comes in a close second in my book!

• Reply Megan Ray September 22, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I LOVE pumpkin baked goods and anything sweet cream cheese is amazing If you could go ahead and send me a few, that would be fabulous. Based on what you said, the few days they would spend in transit would just add to the deliciousness.

• Reply MadisonMayberry September 23, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I like the way you think, Megan! I think we should have a giant blogger baked goods swap. We could all send one another something, sorta like those chain letters people used to send? 🙂

• Reply Melissa@IWasBornToCook September 23, 2011 at 12:02 am

Putting this on my pumpkin list! 🙂

• Reply MadisonMayberry September 23, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Let me know how it turns out if you end up making them. 🙂

• Reply Lauren at Keep It Sweet September 23, 2011 at 9:42 am

This is calling my name! I’m so addicted to pumpkin everything right now.

• Reply MadisonMayberry September 23, 2011 at 1:40 pm

You and me both!

• Reply esther@thatswhatshesaid September 23, 2011 at 8:08 pm

oh YUM. These look insanely delicious! Thank you for positng Madison. I can’t wait to try these out with a hot cup of coffee 🙂

• Reply Nattymcglynn September 23, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Love pumpkin and love cream cheese frosting. Delish!

• Reply Bettina September 24, 2011 at 11:41 am

Made them last night – delicious! Thanks for the recipe

• Reply Ambermkuiper September 26, 2011 at 10:50 pm

These were DELICIOUS! Jake and I enjoyed them last night and plan to continue to all week long! 🙂

• Reply Carroll @Vanilla Lemonade November 4, 2011 at 1:16 am

Looks mouth watering good! Yowza!

• Reply Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting « The Little Spork January 7, 2013 at 11:10 pm

[…] Espresso and Cream, adapted slightly from Sweet Pea’s […]