Honeyed Pumpkin Spice Caramel Corn

October 23, 2011
Joey and I spent a fabulous and fun-filled weekend in Minneapolis getting to meet our new nephew for the first time (!!) and watching Joey’s brother play football. Since Joey’s mom, Lisa, always makes amazing treats to bring to football games, I decided that it would be fun to make something to take along for the road trip up to the game. Something about popcorn and snacks during the fall just makes road trips that much more exciting.
I’ve made a version of this caramel corn many times in the past but it wasn’t until fall baking and pumpkin craziness hit that I thought to make a pumpkin spice version. And although I was a little nervous about swapping out the corn syrup for honey and adding in a hefty dose of pumpkin pie spice, I’m glad I did.
I may have overdosed on the caramel corn on the car ride home, which led to Joey having to take the bag away from me and put it on his side of the car, but it was just too good to resist.
Honeyed Pumpkin Spice Caramel Corn
Ingredients
*1 (3 oz.) bag light butter popcorn, popped with unpopped kernels removed
*1/2 cup unsalted butter
*1/2 cup granulated sugar
*1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
*1/2 cup honey or corn syrup
*1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
*1/4 teaspoon salt
*1/2 teaspoon baking soda
*1/2 cup roasted peanuts
Instructions
*Preheat the oven to 250°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lightly grease.
*In a large saucepan, combine the butter, sugar, brown sugar, honey or corn syrup, pumpkin spice and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. One mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat and stir in the baking soda. Continue to stir until no longer foamy and mixture returns to a deep caramel color, about 1 minute.
*Spread popcorn and peanuts onto baking sheet. Drizzle the caramel over the popcorn and stir until popcorn is evenly coated with the caramel. Spread into an even layer.
*Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Transfer mixture to a clean piece of aluminum foil to cool. Break up any large pieces.
*Store in a zip top bag or storage container for up to a week.
Happy Baking!

• Reply Heidi October 23, 2011 at 6:48 pm

That sounds amazing! I just made a plain caramel corn for the first time ever(I know, where have I been?) and I can’t get enough. Putting this on my list to try.

• Reply Lauren at Keep It Sweet October 24, 2011 at 12:00 am

Love this! Any chance this is coming with you tomorrow? 🙂

• Reply nat@thesweetslife October 24, 2011 at 8:49 pm

This sounds wonderful!! Guess what–we’re heading to Bethel in December to finally watch my brother play bball. I can’t wait! 🙂

• Reply MadisonMayberry October 28, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I forgot that you brother is up at Bethel. Let me know when you guys are up there. We are in MSP quite a bit. Maybe we will run into one another! 🙂

• Reply Urban Wife October 25, 2011 at 1:03 am

What a great idea!

• Reply Laura M Staugaitis October 25, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Fun fact: you can also DIY microwave popcorn (and avoid all those yummy but weird chemicals). Just put some popcorn kernels in a paper bag (no oil needed), tape the bag closed, and press the popcorn button on your microwave. Donezo. Season/cook with as desired, or enjoy au naturale. I think I’ll be making this recipe for my halloween party this weekend!

• Reply Elizabeth Downie October 27, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I made this last night and my friends GOBBLED it up! It’s delcious!

• Reply MadisonMayberry October 28, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Oh that makes me so happy to hear. You have no idea! 🙂

• Reply vhoiten October 27, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Hi! I would love to make this…trying to incorporate more honey instead of artificial sweetners and processed sugar into my diet and this would be a great snack for my family….I don’t really buy much microwave popcorn as I have an air popper, about how many cups of popped popcorn is needed for this recipe?

• Reply MadisonMayberry October 28, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I would guess that the bag popped around five to six cups of popcorn. Start with five and if it seems like you have a bit more caramel sauce than you need, add in a little extra. 🙂