Lisa’s Amazing Snack Mix

October 13, 2011
Today’s recipe comes to us courtesy of my mother-in-law, Lisa! This fall we have traveled to a couple of my brother-in-law Jason’s football games and every weekend Joey’s mom comes armed with multiple bags of snack mix, half of the bags savory and half of them sweet. Although her sweet mix is delicious, I much prefer all things salty. And boy does this hit the spot.
I had to chuckle a little, because when I asked for the recipe from Lisa, she sent the recipe to me in an e-mail and ended it with, “you may change your mind about posting it when you see the ingredients.”
Okay, I’ll admit that I was a little horrified when I saw that the recipe calls for an entire bottle of Orville Redenbacher’s Popcorn Oil, but then I reminded myself that this makes a whole lot of snack mix. Enough to feed a huge crowd for a tailgating party or a big group of friends and family. And yes, it really is made in a plastic trash bag, seeing as that its the only thing I can think of that is big enough to hold all of the ingredients.
Lisa’s Amazing Snack Mix aka ‘Garbage Bag Trail Mix’
Ingredients
*1 family size box of Crispix corn cereal
*1 bag pretzels
*1 (12-ounce) can cocktail peanuts
*2 standard-sized bags of Combos or other cheese-filled cracker
*1 (12-ounce) box Cheez-It
*1 (20-ounce) box Honey Nut Cheerios
*1 (16-ounce) box Quaker Oat Squares
*1 (16-ounce) bottle Orville Redenbacker Popcorn Oil
*1 teaspoon onion salt
*1 tablespoon garlic powder
Instructions
*Add the onion salt and the garlic powder to the popcorn oil bottle. It will keep separating so you have to shake it up again right before adding it to the mix.
*Put all the other ingredients together in a big plastic garbage bag. Gently roll the bag from side to side to mix the ingredients together.
*Add the oil mixture a little at a time while gently rolling the bag to mix together. Continue to roll a bit after all the oil is added.
*When all the oil has been added, the mixture will be pretty oily. Do not fear! Transfer the mixture to gallon-sized zip top bags and allow to sit overnight. Mixture will store for up to two weeks in the zip top bags.
Happy Cooking!

• Reply deva October 13, 2011 at 2:39 am

This looks like a GREAT recipe – like it would be perfect for gifts!

• Reply Lauren at Keep It Sweet October 13, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Ha that bottle of oil kind of freaked me out too, but with the amount of other things that are in the recipe, it makes sense. What a fun tailgating treat!

• Reply Pam De Haan October 13, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I’d like to see the recipe for Lisa’s sweet trail mix 🙂

• Reply MadisonMayberry October 13, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I can work on that, Pam! I’ve got the inside connection to Lisa’s recipe box, after all, and I’m guessing she would be more than willing to share!

• Reply Star Van Gelder October 13, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Thanks for sharing this…. I’m anxious to try this out! 🙂

• Reply esther@thatswhatshesaid October 13, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Yum that looks delicious. Perfect for Fall time too and football 🙂

• Reply Urban Wife October 14, 2011 at 1:26 am

I know several family members who would love to face plant into this mix at any given time! Thanks for sharing it. Just one more for my arsenal… 🙂

• Reply Becki Jacobs October 14, 2011 at 11:05 am

OMG – this recipe is awesome and definitely fitting for a tailgate! The trash bag is hilarious, but I’m not sure how else you would mix this…it is kind of like using a big zip loc bag to mis stuff up. My girls love chex mix so they would love this.

• Reply Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files October 14, 2011 at 5:10 pm

oh my GOSH. homemade snack mixes are one of my top 10 favorite foods EVER. I want to make this recipe so badly but I need to wait and save it for a special occasion otherwise I will eat the whole batch in one sitting:)