Goals for 2012

January 11, 2012

1. No ‘Fat Talk’ in 2012 Yes, you heard me right. I’m instituting a no ‘fat talk’ policy for the entire year. When the idea first came to my mind, I thought there was no way I could go a whole year without verbally saying things like “I look fat” or “my thighs look huge”. But as hard as it may be, I think it’s worth pursuing. That’s not to say that I’m planning on becoming complacent with my fitness goals. But I do think it’s important to be thankful for where I am at in the here and now and to spend less time thinking about myself and turn that attention to those around me.

If you wan to join me and take the ‘No Fat Talk Pledge’ feel free to leave a comment below. I think we could all stand to be a little nicer to our bodies. Perhaps we could Tweet positive motivations under the hash tag #nofattalk2012 as well?

2. Spend More Mindfully, Save More Money Can’t we all relate? I want to be more thoughtful about how I spend money this year. That means fewer trips to Starbucks, being more diligent about packing lunches at home, purchasing investment pieces for my wardrobe rather than a bunch of stuff I’ll be sick of wearing a year later. You get the idea. Joey and I would like to pay off his school loans as soon as possible this year, and I want to do my part!

3. Read My Bible More I think this one is pretty self explanatory, but I want to spend more time in God’s word, growing closer to Him and learning more about what His will is for my life.

4. Grow Espresso and Cream The actual plan for how to achieve this have yet to be laid in stone. My hope is that I can put together a plan for actively growing this little blog, since in the past I have been rather passive about how it grows.

4. Wash My Hair Less This is a slightly less serious goal, but I think it still counts. I really want to ring in 2013 with long, healthy locks. But my hair stylist says I need to do a better job of not washing it so darn often or using as many styling tools if I want it to grow. I’m going on three days without washing right now – off to a great start! 🙂

5. Maintain My Current Weight, Get Comfortable With My Body No silly diets or juice cleanses here. I’m just shy of 5’10 and weigh somewhere between 145-148 pounds. I wear size 28 jeans. But more importantly, I have a body capable of running hundreds of miles a year, walking our dog, throwing the football with my hubby, lifting weights and doing hundreds of squats. Pretty cool stuff.

• Reply Urban Wife January 11, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Those are wonderful goals! I’m always hesitant to make New Year’s resolutions but I’m totally on board with your ‘No Fat Talk’ pledge.

• Reply MadisonMayberry January 12, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Yay! It’s great to have so many people joining in. I love the thought that so many of us will be talking positively about our bodies and how beautiful they all are.

• Reply Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables January 11, 2012 at 2:07 pm

great goals Madison! The no fat talk would definitely be a challenge for me too, but I think it’s an awesome idea.

• Reply Elisse January 11, 2012 at 2:34 pm

These are awesome goals. Especially number 1! Good Luck!

• Reply Elizabeth Downie January 11, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I absolutely LOVE the idea of “No fat talk!” I am going to borrow that goal too. I think that will be very hard for me, but very important too. Thanks for the inspiring idea! 🙂 (By the way, I would never for one instance think you were even the SLIGHTEST bit fat! You’re gorgeous!!)

• Reply MadisonMayberry January 12, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Yay! And thanks for the little pep-talk Elizabeth. I really needed it yesterday and your comment lifted my spirits! Keep up the great blogging. 🙂

• Reply Hannah January 11, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I think these resolutions are really awesome. I haven’t committed to any resolutions this year, but will definitely adopt the ‘No Fat Talk’ resolution. Thank you for sharing!

• Reply MadisonMayberry January 12, 2012 at 7:22 pm

So happy to hear that, Hannah! I think we will all be happier, more confident women because of it.

• Reply K E Twigg January 11, 2012 at 3:06 pm

What lofty goals! I wish I was brave enough to post such things. I have no doubt that you can do it 🙂 I’d be interested in the “no fat talk” in 2012. I really need to get away from that habit of hating my body when I feel I’m having a “fat” day. I’ve also given up Starbucks (that started in October). Similarly, I’m really trying hard to read the Bible more also.

• Reply MadisonMayberry January 12, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Wow! Sounds like we have a lot of the same goals. I didn’t realize how much I wasted at coffee shops until I really started looking at my bank statements. Those little trips really add up!

• Reply Gabby Bladdick January 11, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I love the idea of “no fat talk.” We should be PROUD of our healthy bodies, not bashing them all the time. Good stuff, I love it!

• Reply MadisonMayberry January 12, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Isn’t that the truth? We as women spend waaay too much time talking bad about ourselves.

• Reply Lauren at Keep It Sweet January 11, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I am a huge fan of number one! Maybe I’ll try doing that once a week to start… though really should do it every day!

• Reply MadisonMayberry January 12, 2012 at 7:20 pm

You SHOULD do it every day, silly. You are absolutely beautiful and deserve to tell yourself that each and every day.

• Reply Amy January 11, 2012 at 4:59 pm

‘No Fat Talk’ is an awesome resolution to make! I would probably find it impossible but it would be cool to try. All your goals are great.

• Reply MadisonMayberry January 12, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Give it a try and let me know how it goes! 🙂

• Reply OregonJudy January 11, 2012 at 7:02 pm

As an “older” woman sho is proud to be a grandmother, I too complained about my body at your age. Years later I look back and think how good I looked and how stupid I was to think my body needed changing. Enjoy it while you are young and unwrinkled.
    As for the hair products, try using a non-lathering shampoo (one of them is called Deva-curl No-poo, another is Wen.) They don’t strip your hair of essential oils like normal shampoo.

• Reply Cpa January 11, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I just thought the other day, why do I bother complaining about myself? The fact is we are never as physically beautiful as now, so I intend this year to fully appreciate and cherish my appearance (as cliche as that sounds). P.S. I thing number 5 is a great one!

• Reply MadisonMayberry January 12, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Isn’t that the truth? We spend so much time complaining about our bodies for no good reason. And it never gets us anywhere! Love hearing that you are going to spend more time cherishing your appearance. No cliche at all!

• Reply MadisonMayberry January 12, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Wow Judy, what great wisdom! Although I’m only 24, I remember being hard about my body in high school and now looking back, I think I was crazy for doing so! It just goes to prove that time gives a little more perspective. And thanks for the shampoo recommendations. I’ll check them out!

• Reply Brindi January 11, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I love your goals, and I’m going to take the “No Fat Talk” pledge. I like where my body is at, I just need to focus on toning. I’m interested in the hair washing because I feel it takes forever for my hair to grow, and it seems whenever I get it to grow it just gets cut off again. ai yi yi. I also blogged about my 2012 “habits” on my blog, Sweet B’s Impressions. It’s more satisfying to say things like habits and goals than resolutions.

• Reply MadisonMayberry January 12, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Yay! So great to hear. I can totally relate with the hair struggles. I’ve been in the ‘cut and grow it out’ cycle for years. Hoping to just keep sticking it out this year. 🙂 Checking out your blog right… now!

• Reply Marisa January 15, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I like your “no fat talk” goal! I’m going to do my best to appreciate my body and not complain as much.

• Reply natalie (thesweetslife) January 16, 2012 at 2:13 am

it makes me sick the way i sometimes trash talk my body—as my dad told me growing up “God doesn’t make junk”…I need to fix my attitude about this! thanks for the reminder 🙂

• Reply Marisa January 16, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I’ve been thinking of your no hair wash goal, and I’m curious how to you keep it looking cute by day three? I have a two day max before my hair looks like a grease ball.

• Reply MadisonMayberry January 20, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I had the same problem, but I found that using Bumble and Bumble dry shampoo makes all the difference!

• Reply Sarah Crosby January 21, 2012 at 4:33 am

Ok, I have been out of the loop on keeping up with blogs since my son was born in October. Your blog was one of the first to catch up on! The best new years resolution hands down is the no fat talk! Before I had my little one I was pretty thin and have been giving myself a hard time about the extra lbs I have packed on. After reading this I am going to take the “no fat talk challenge” The Lord chose me to carry and give birth to the most amazing little boy- Instead of dwelling on how my body isn’t what it used to be, I need to be thanking Him for allowing my body to be healthy enough to withstand the 9 months of constant change and stress. I am going to continue to work out and stay healthy, but instead of the negative fat talk and thoughts I am going to work on replacing them with positive thoughts and praise to the Lord. I mean come on- I grew a human in this body- and that’s pretty amazing.

• Reply no fat talk. | Thoughts By Natalie September 19, 2013 at 7:11 pm

[…] week on my blog I talked a bit about my goals for 2012. Typically, I’ve made resolutions such as ‘lose five pounds’ or ‘drop a jean size,’ but I […]