Creamy Chia Oatmeal

February 1, 2012
Good morning, and happy Wednesday! I’m offering up my sincerest apologies for this photo, but certainly not apologizing for the recipe. It’s killer good and a huge hit with my husband, who begged me to put the recipe up for you guys. Hey, if Joey is raving about oatmeal, it’s most certainly got something going on, right?
Over the past few weeks, my love for oatmeal has heated back up. My favorite thing about oats has always been the fact that if you cook them slowly, you can get your oats to absorb a ridiculous amount of water, hence making for a giant, filling bowl at breakfast without added calories. But it wasn’t until recently that I realized you can also bulk up your oats and add great texture and nutrition by stirring in a tablespoon of chia seeds.
If you’re unfamiliar with chia seeds, they are a small but mighty food that provides fiber, omega fatty acids, calcium and antioxidants. They have a slightly nutty flavor and get bigger when added to liquid, making portions extra generous. If you’re looking for more information, check out what Dr. Oz has to say about chia HERE.
Of course, this oatmeal is about more than just health. It’s perfect, creamy, fluffy and all around delicious. All of which is made better by adding a generous scoop of peanut butter atop for good measure.
Creamy Chia Oatmeal
Makes 1 serving
*1 2/3 cup water
*Pinch of salt
*3/4 cup rolled oats (not instant)
*1 tablespoon chia seeds
*2 to 3 tablespoons milk
*1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
*2 packets Stevia or 2 tablespoons brown sugar
*1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
Instructions
*In a saucepan over medium heat, combine water, salt, oats and chia seeds. Cook, stirring occasionally, for six to eight minutes or until oats and chia seeds are puffed up and the oats just begin to bubble/boil. For ultra creamy oatmeal, cook at an even lower heat for more time.
*When oats begin to bubble, add in the milk, cinnamon and sweetener or sugar. Continue to cook for two to three minutes, until the oats have absorbed the milk and the mixture is creamy. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl. Top with the peanut butter. Serve immediately.
Happy Cooking!

• Reply Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables February 1, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I love Chia seeds too, they make oatmeal so much better!

• Reply MadisonMayberry February 2, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Oh my gosh, they do! And so much healthier, too!

• Reply Lauren at Keep It Sweet February 1, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I am a huge fan of using chia seeds in oats! I actually think that bowl of oatmeal looks delish:-)

• Reply MadisonMayberry February 2, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Thanks, Lauren. I’m glad you’re accepting of my terrible photos taken without natural light. Bring on summer!

• Reply perséide February 1, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Going to make this right away! Thank you for the recipe!

• Reply MadisonMayberry February 2, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Of course! 🙂

• Reply Sara February 1, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I have personally never heard of Chia Seeds before so where exactly would I find them in the grocery store so I can make this delicious looking oatmeal?

• Reply MadisonMayberry February 2, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Sara, you can purchase chia seeds at most health food stores, and many mainstream grocery stores are now selling them, too. Our local grocery store chain (HyVee) sells them. Or, if you can’t get them at the store, Amazon is great!

• Reply Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 1, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I love adding chia seeds to oats. I know the texture turns some people off, but it’s actually my favorite part! You should try adding a banana to this 😀

• Reply MadisonMayberry February 2, 2012 at 2:30 pm

What a great idea! My husband is allergic to bananas but I love them.

• Reply Pia - Cake Pop Fusion February 1, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I am totally going to try your recipe! I haven’t been a big oatmeal fan (plain oatmeal was ALL we had for breakfast when I was a kid….. guess I got tired of it, ha ha) but I have really wanted to try it again. Your recipe sounds pretty amazing, so here I go!

• Reply MadisonMayberry February 2, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Let me know how it goes if you do end up trying it!

• Reply Sara @my less serious life February 1, 2012 at 9:36 pm

hey lady – thought you might also like my chia seed post (http://mylessseriouslife.blogspot.com/2011/11/commentary-chia-seeds.html) i recently discovered the wonder of the chia myself…

• Reply Sara @my less serious life February 1, 2012 at 9:37 pm

ah, that link didn’t work. anyways it is under my ‘commentaries’ page if you are intersted!

• Reply MadisonMayberry February 2, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Sara – I was actually checking out your site when you posted this comment! Love your blog. 🙂

• Reply UrbanWife February 1, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I need to run and get some chia seeds. Oatmeal and I are BFF’s.

• Reply MadisonMayberry February 2, 2012 at 2:30 pm

It’s amazing how filling oatmeal is. It even fills up my husband, who seems to be a bottomless pit sometimes.

• Reply Darlene February 5, 2012 at 4:30 pm

We tried this recipe – I don’t like oatmeal so this was a real test – it is a wonderful breakfast treat. Chia seeds were rather expensive but what I have read are very nutritious – even put them on pizza last night.

• Reply Trisha August 15, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Is supposed to be 1 serving size or 2? It makes a lot! Very yummy though… 🙂

• Reply Creamy Chia Oatmeal | a little bit of me March 4, 2013 at 8:56 pm

[…] Creamy Chia Oatmeal 1 2/3 cup water Pinch of salt (I like using Kosher salt) 3/4 cup rolled oats (not quick oats) 1 Tbsp. chia seeds 2-3 Tbsp. milk 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon 2 Tbsp. brown sugar (or other sweetener) 1 Tbsp. peanut butter (optional, but I always include it!) Combine water, salt, oats and chia seeds over low heat. Cook for six to eight minutes or until oats and chia seeds are puffed up and the oats just begin to bubble. Add in the milk, cinnamon and sweetener. Cook for two to three minutes, until the oats have absorbed the milk and the mixture is creamy. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl and top with peanut butter. Original recipe from Espresso and Cream. […]