Broccoli-Avocado Sandwich

March 4, 2012

Sometimes I hesitate to give you a recipe for a sandwich. I mean, who really needs a recipe for two slices of bread filled with whatever you have on hand in your pantry, right? Then again, everyone loves

Joey and I were eating lunch yesterday after cleaning the house for two hours(!!) (that man is a master at cleaning bathrooms) and the sandwich I was eating had Joe scratching his head. Broccoli? On a sandwich? I say why not!

The problem I have with vegetarian sandwiches in the winter months is the lack of in-season produce that typically finds itself on veg-friendly sandwiches. Tomatoes at this time of year? Not a chance. Cucumbers? Hah. Sprouts? Seems like everyone is dying from eating them at Jimmy Johns. Winter means a girl has got to get creative.

This killer sandwich is filled with mashed avocado, blanched broccoli (broccoli that is cooked in boiling water for just a minute or two), Laughing Cow cheese and yellow or Dijon mustard. Although it may sound a bit strange, the combination really can’t be beat. And nutritionally, it’s pretty stellar, too. Healthy avocado-fat, fiber-rich broccoli, whole grains, you get the picture.

I didn’t toast the bread this time, but if I were to pack this sandwich for a lunch at work, I think toasting would help prevent the bread from getting too soggy. And if you’re not a vegetarian, this sandwich would be killer with a little of thinly-sliced turkey or roast beef.

Joe and I are off to the gym to try out my new running shoes, go to church, take Nut on a walk and lounge around in our newly-cleaned house. Have a happy Sunday, everyone!

Broccoli-Avocado Sandwich
Ingredients
*2 slices 100% whole wheat bread
*1/2 small to medium avocado, sliced
*Kosher salt
*1/2 cup blanched broccoli florets, chopped
*1 teaspoon yellow or dijon mustard
*1 Laughing Cow Mozzarella and Tomato Basil cheese wedge

Instructions
*Spread the avocado slices onto one slice of the whole wheat bread. Sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt. Top with the chopped broccoli florets.
*On the second slice of bread, spread the mustard and the Laughing Cow cheese wedge. Combine the two slices of bread. Slice in half.

Happy Cooking!

• Reply Blog is the New Black March 4, 2012 at 2:12 pm

So simple and yummy!

• Reply Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 4, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I can honestly say I’ve never seen broccoli in a sandwich before! Looks good, though!

• Reply Urban Wife March 4, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Great lunch idea!

• Reply Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 5, 2012 at 12:20 am

I love this idea! I’m always looking for new interesting sandwich ideas.

• Reply Taylor @ greens & chocolate March 5, 2012 at 12:31 am

I recently had a sandwich with broccoli on it and absolutely loved it! This looks tasty!

• Reply Em (Wine and Butter) March 5, 2012 at 11:36 am

These sound so so good! I adore broccoli and it is so underrated in terms of its versatality! For lunch today for example, I am having raw broccoli dipped in hummus (I eat like a whole tub at a time! 🙂 ) – with plenty of hot sauce. I love it so much and it never ever gets old!

• Reply DessertForTwo March 5, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I love this idea! It looks so delicious! I’ve also thought sandwiches lack in the veggie department. Can’t wait to try this!

• Reply Baking Serendipity March 6, 2012 at 3:58 am

I’m definitely game for a sandwich recipe, especially one with a vegetarian option. I love the simplicity of this…and need to take your lead and spend a weekend spring cleaning my house too!

• Reply Kristel March 6, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Thank you for doing this post! I like what you said that it feels silly to post sandwich recipes. For me (as a vegetarian too) I have trouble finding good combos that are fresh and interesting. Keep posting your sandwiches 🙂 I’ll be interested in them!

• Reply natalie (thesweetslife) March 7, 2012 at 3:02 am

i seriously LOVE the sound of this!

• Reply Alex April 2, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I can't get enough of this sandwich! I cannot thank you enough for introducing me to the wonderful world of broccoli on a sandwich! I've been swapping out different types of laughing cow and I must say, the garlic and herb with your Combo, really takes my lunch to a whole new level.