Saying Goodbye

March 7, 2012

On Monday morning after almost 91 years of life, my Grandma Dorothy passed away after suffering a stroke the week before.

To say she was an amazing woman would be an understatement. An educated woman and teacher by trade, my grandma devoted much of her life to being a wife, raising her five children and managing life on the farm – which from what I’ve been told was packed with hard, physical work.

Dorothy’s greatest joy was, without a doubt, her family. She lived for her kids and grand kids, always calling to see what they were up to and making sure everyone was safe and doing well. Dorothy was a devout, if not the most devout, reader of Espresso and Cream, and never did a ball game, school play or musical pass without grandma in attendance. And, most importantly, her greatest desire was that her family learned to love and serve the Lord in all situations and circumstances.

For me personally, my grandma’s legacy lies in the kitchen. I remember my mom telling me that no one could make a pie (and more specifically a pie crust) quite like her. Although her pies would never win awards based on presentation, they certainly delivered on taste. She was the keeper of our family’s Thanksgiving stuffing recipe and even taught my cousin, Angela, and me how to make Saucijsjes this past Christmas.

Perhaps one of the more amazing facets of Grandma Dorothy’s personality was how humble she was. Even in areas where she excelled (trading stocks, baking and cooking, etc.) she was not one to brag or talk about herself. Her interests were, first and foremost, for those around her, and it showed by the way she impacted so many.

I suppose this is more a string of random thoughts than a cohesive post. But I’m finding it a bit difficult to put a lifetime of experiences and sweet memories into a few short paragraphs. I just wanted to share with you a little glimpse into what an amazing woman she was and share with you where I am at this week.

Thanks for your support.

• Reply Urban Wife March 7, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Madison, my heart goes out to you during this time of grieving and loss. By the same token, I stand beside you in celebrating her long, fruitful life and that she is in a much better place now! My prayers are with you and your family!

• Reply Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 7, 2012 at 1:38 pm

So sorry again for your loss. What a nice post to honor your grandmother and it is so wonderful that you have so many great memories of her to hold onto.

• Reply Krysten Schwartz March 7, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your loss Madison. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this time. Find strength in the wonderful memories you created together and the legacy that she has left for you. Hugs.

• Reply Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray March 7, 2012 at 2:15 pm

This is a beautiful post. It’s clear that she raised a wonderful family and was well-loved by them. My thoughts and prayers are with your family!

• Reply justinelorelle March 7, 2012 at 2:28 pm

So sorry for your loss, Madison šŸ™ Keeping you and your family in my prayers.

• Reply DessertForTwo March 7, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss, Madison. Keeping your family in my thoughts & prayers.

• Reply MadisonMayberry March 9, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Thank you, Christina! I appreciate it so much. We remembered her in the best way possible – with family, memory-sharing and great food. She would have been so pleased.

• Reply Jennifer March 7, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. It sounds like she was a wonderful woman, and she will remain in many people’s memories for a long time.

• Reply MadisonMayberry March 9, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Jennifer, thank you so much for your words of support. We had a wonderful time remembering her these past few days and it’s nice to be able to spend time with other family members who share those memories.

• Reply Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables March 7, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I’m so sorry to hear Madison, I’ll keep you and your family in my prayers!

• Reply MadisonMayberry March 9, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Thank you, Emilie! Your prayers are much appreciated during this time.

• Reply Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 7, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. This was a beautiful homage to your grandma.

• Reply MadisonMayberry March 9, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Liz, you have no idea how much I appreciate it. Thank you!

• Reply Cindy @ The Flipping Couple March 7, 2012 at 3:50 pm

What beautiful memories of an amazing woman! Thanks for sharing her with us. Praying for peace as you say goodbye.

• Reply MadisonMayberry March 9, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Thank you, Cindy! I appreciate your kindness and prayers. šŸ™‚

• Reply Eva March 7, 2012 at 3:54 pm

So very sorry for you loss. What a legacy your grandmother has left to your family. Continue to honor her life and cherish her memory!

• Reply MadisonMayberry March 9, 2012 at 1:41 pm

She left an incredible legacy that we get to celebrate each and every day going forward. What a blessing to have shared life with her for so many years. Thank you for your kind words, Eva.

• Reply Sara @my less serious life March 7, 2012 at 3:55 pm

so sorry to read this, madison. but, what a lovely tribute post to your grandmother.

• Reply MadisonMayberry March 9, 2012 at 1:40 pm

šŸ™‚ Thank you, Sara.

• Reply Jane March 7, 2012 at 6:33 pm

What wonderful memories of your sweet Grandma!! My grandmother was Dorothy and she also lived to be in her 90’s – – it’s been 15 years and I still think of her all the time. Memories will make you smile and get through …

• Reply MadisonMayberry March 9, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I think that ‘Grandma Dorothy’ must have been just as special to you as my grandma was to me. Thank you for sharing your story and for your kind words, Jane.

• Reply Sarah Erickson March 7, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Thinking about you and your family, Mad! Some of my favorite memories of Grandma Dorothy are visiting the farm to play with her baby kittens and running to the Dutch Mill crazy days tent while at work last summer to find her perfect shade of makeup. šŸ™‚ What a wonderful tribute post to Grandma Dorothy. Love you guys!

• Reply MadisonMayberry March 9, 2012 at 1:39 pm

We shared that story last night at dinner when we were all sharing Dorothy memories. You were so sweet to her, Sarah, and she appreciated it so much. I hope you have a wonderful time in California!

• Reply Laura Wifler March 7, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Sounds like your Grandma had a wonderful testimony Madison! Praying for you and your family!

• Reply Ashlyn Bergman March 8, 2012 at 3:31 am

I cannot tell you how much my heart goes out to you. I have been a long time fan and this is my first comment on a post. I lost my grandmother in December over the holidays in a few short sudden days and it still effects me on a daily basis. Her laugh and zest for life is what gets me through the low points. I’m in tears as I type this.. Praying and thinking of you and your family in this extremely difficult time.

• Reply MadisonMayberry March 9, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Ashlyn, thank you for your kind words! Grandmothers are such special, amazing people and no other relationship on earth is quite the same. My heart goes out to you, too, as you continue to cope and move forward with a new version of ‘normal’ without your grandma. Sending love your way.

• Reply Gabby Bladdick March 8, 2012 at 3:59 am

Wanted to say again how sorry I am to hear about your loss. My prayers are with you!

• Reply MadisonMayberry March 9, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Thanks again, Gabby! Your support has been so evident and it’s helped to make this time a little easier.

• Reply Angela Ten Clay March 8, 2012 at 4:00 am

So sorry to hear about your loss, Madison. I know how awesome Grandma Dorothy was. Lots of great memories of her in high school chatting with her around your dinner table before band or volleyball. Praying for you and your family. Lots of love to you!

• Reply MadisonMayberry March 9, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Thanks, love! I appreciate your friendship and support so much.

• Reply Alice March 8, 2012 at 4:14 am

I am so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you at this time.

• Reply MadisonMayberry March 9, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Thank you, Alice! I really appreciate you taking the time to send a little encouragement this way. Oh, and I have been a big bogged down, but congrats on your book deal! I can’t wait to read it and cook from it.

• Reply Andrew and Emily Lundgren March 8, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I was so sorry to hear about your Grandma Dorothy, Madison. She was such a sweet and wonderful woman! Thinking and praying for you and your family…

• Reply natalie (thesweetslife) March 9, 2012 at 2:54 am

aw I know how special grandma’s are! praying for you and your fam!

• Reply MadisonMayberry March 9, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Thanks, Natalie! I appreciate it. šŸ™‚

• Reply Wanda in Edmonton March 9, 2012 at 4:46 am

My sympathies to you and your family in your loss. You have written a lovely tribute to her. She does, indeed, sound like a wonderful person. You were fortunate to have such a devoted grandmother. May God bless!
    Wanda in Edmonton

• Reply MadisonMayberry March 9, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Wanda, thank you so much for your kindness and sympathy in the wake of my grandma’s passing. We were, indeed, blessed to have had such a wonderful woman in our lives.

• Reply Karla March 14, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your Grandma, Madison. What a sweet tribute you shared about her with us here, though! Sending warm thoughts and hugs to you and your family.