Breakfast Quinoa with Oats

May 10, 2012

Lately you’ve probably noticed a bit more quinoa popping up on Espresso and Cream, yes? Well, get ready for even more recipes in the months to come! Curtis has kept our house well-stocked with quinoa, and in exchange for the free quinoa, I’ve been creating recipes that go both on this site and on his company’s blog. It’s a win-win if you ask me.

My relationship with quinoa took a while to heat up. I first started cooking with this amazing grain (er…seed) when I went vegetarian a little over two years ago. It wasn’t the taste or texture that drew me to quinoa, but rather the stellar nutritional profile. Since quinoa is a complete protein (meaning it provides 100% of the essential amino acids), it’s ideal for individuals who don’t eat a lot of meat.

But over the last six months, quinoa has really started to grow on me and Joe. It’s so much easier to prepare than rice and stores forever in the refrigerator. I make a large batch without any seasoning every week or week and a half, which does a lot to encourage my quinoa consumption, since it doesn’t require much prep for lunch and dinner.

This past weekend, I made my first foray into eating quinoa at breakfast. Most mornings, okay every morning, I start off the day with a bowl of oats with banana and peanut butter or almond butter. But last weekend, I decided to put a twist on my breakfast stand-by with the addition of quinoa. Cutting my oats with a little cooked quinoa was the perfect breakfast duo. Since quinoa doesn’t have the same gooey texture of cooked oats, adding a tablespoon of chia seeds is the real trick to having your mixture taste more like breakfast porridge rather than a bowl of grain, which I prefer.

In other news, Espresso and Cream is going to be getting a long-overdue redesign in the coming weeks. On top of a visual update, I’ll also be switching E&C over to self-hosting. Although it won’t mean many changes on your end, I wanted to give you a heads-up in case things get a little wonky for a while. Hopefully all goes smoothly and you don’t even notice! But, if you have any suggestions on what you would like to see in the new site, feel free to leave a comment below.

Breakfast Quinoa with Oats
Makes 1 Serving
Ingredients
*1/4 cup cooked quinoa
*1/4 cup uncooked rolled oats
*1/2 cup milk
*2/3 cup water
*1 tablespoon chia seeds
*1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
*1 packet Truvia or 1 tablespoon brown sugar
*Dash of vanilla extract
*1 medium banana, sliced
*1/4 cup chopped pecans

Instructions
*In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the cooked quinoa, rolled oats, milk, water and chia seeds. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, until oats and chia seeds have absorbed most of the moisture and the mixture is thickened. Add in the cinnamon, Truvia or brown sugar and vanilla extract. Cook for 30 seconds more.
*Remove from heat and stir in the banana slices. Spoon into a bowl and top with the chopped pecans.

Happy Cooking!

• Reply Justin Brady May 10, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Wow, that’s brilliant! Yum

• Reply Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray May 10, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I’ve recently fallen in love with quinoa myself, and I’m excited to see a breakfast take on it–this is definitely getting added to my morning oatmeal rotation. 🙂 Now I’ve just got to take the plunge and try chia seeds, too…

• Reply Judyliebo May 10, 2012 at 3:03 pm

It would be really nice if your recipes were more printer friendly.

• Reply Madison Mayberry May 16, 2012 at 11:04 am

Thanks for the feedback, Judy! I use Recipage for most of my recipes to make them printer-friendly, but I need to do a better job of updating my Recipage each time and giving you the printer-friendly link!

• Reply AW June 20, 2012 at 5:17 am

I’ve learned to make every recipe easily printable using PrintFriendly.com. Hope it helps you out for printing out blog recipes 🙂

• Reply Emilie May 10, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I’m obsessed with quinoa, I literally eat it every day. Yet somehow I haven’t tried it for breakfast yet! This looks delicious.

• Reply Katie H. May 10, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Quinoa is not something that I’ve experimented with yet. But this post makes me want to! I can’t wait to check out some more of your recipes.

• Reply UrbanWife May 10, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Quinoa for breakfast? Yes, please! Can’t wait to see your new re-design. I’m sure it’ll be amazing. 🙂

• Reply Kristel May 11, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Sounds like a great recipe. I don’t personally like the recent change on the blog to “read more” I like having it all one one page.

• Reply Madison Mayberry May 16, 2012 at 11:01 am

Kristel, thanks for the feedback!

• Reply Erica_StuffIMakeMyHusband June 7, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I am looking to try an interesting twist on oats, this looks good…would you re-make it if your house wasn’t already stocked with quinoa? Basically I was wondering if it’s just a way of using up quinoa, or if it’s an improvement over plain oats 🙂 Thanks!!

• Reply Madison Mayberry June 7, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Erica – good question! I would most certainly still make this, even if I didn’t have a lot of quinoa around the house. Before my cousin started his quinoa business, we were already big quinoa fans and bought it on our own. What I really love about this version of quinoa-oats is that you still get the oat taste/texture but you also get a big dose of protein thanks to the quinoa.

• Reply AW June 20, 2012 at 5:21 am

Yummy 🙂 My only substitution was Coconut Milk and it was absolutely delicious. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Reply MadisonMayberry June 20, 2012 at 10:59 am

Yum! I had never thought to add coconut milk, but I’ll have to give it a try next time!

• Reply Breakfast for Days {Quinoa Oatmeal with Toasted Nuts and Berries} « be stitched January 6, 2013 at 5:33 pm

[…] makes about 4-5 JP-sized servings (1/3 cup), adapted from Espresso and Cream […]

• Reply franchescaolsen May 18, 2013 at 1:45 pm

oats on my table seems to be so perfect for me. That’s the reason why I am losing weight.

thanks, Searches related to table covers with logo