Fashion

Maxi Dresses for Tall Girls

June 13, 2012

There’s nothing I love more than summer weather, and being in Iowa makes me appreciate the high temps even more. But since our hot weather days are so limited in the Midwest, it sometimes seems like a waste to spend a lot of money on dresses that will only get used three months out of the year. Max dresses, on the other hand, are a different story. Because of their length, I could see myselfย  wearing this dress in the spring and fall months with a light cardigan or jacket. And I’m really looking forward to dressing it up a bit and wearing it to weddings we have coming up this summer.

I’ve been searching for the perfect maxi dress for months now, and even looked a bit last summer, too. Since I’m 5’9″ it’s not easy to find a maxi dress that is actually long enough to wear sandal, let alone a wedge or heel! Needless to say I was trilled when I walked into Banana Republic the other day and saw a handful of dresses that were long enough for me – some were even a little too long. Thanks to a series of strategically-used coupons, I managed to score this dress (originally $130) for $30. Perhaps I should have bought it in another color, too?

It looks like they have sold out of this exact dress online, but I found a whole bunch in the store. The other dress I debated buying, which is even longer than the one I’m wearing, was this one.

Any tall girls out there have success finding maxi dresses at other stores?

• Reply Krysten Schwartz June 13, 2012 at 12:49 pm

LOVE this! Thank you for passing along, I’m 5’8 and always struggle with maxi dresses. Banana Republic hear I come : ) And, as always, you look gorgeous!

• Reply Mindy June 13, 2012 at 2:34 pm

J.Crew and Old Navy have been my go-to for maxi dresses! I am just an inch shorter than you so I feel ya. Although, some of my maxis are still ankle length which really doesn’t bother me. Just an excuse to wear cuter shoes ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Madison Mayberry June 14, 2012 at 10:55 am

That’s a good way to think about it. I think I always assume that the dresses need to be down to the floor, but that’s not always the case.

• Reply UrbanWife June 13, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I’m not tall so usually have the opposite problem but just wanted to say that dress looks perfect & gorgeous on you!

• Reply Andrea June 13, 2012 at 3:49 pm

THANK YOU! I have this problem. Was on the fence about going to BR today over lunch – I’m going for it!

• Reply Madison Mayberry June 14, 2012 at 10:54 am

Let me know if you had success!

• Reply Amanda @ Semi-Health Nut June 13, 2012 at 4:44 pm

First of all…Iowa?? I live in Nebraska! On the east side..so very close to Ia!! It’s so rare that I find bloggers from my area that I get excited when I find one haha!

Also, you’re gorgeous! This post wasn’t very helpful for me since I am 5’2″ but I am going shopping today and now I really want some new dresses! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Madison Mayberry June 14, 2012 at 10:53 am

Small world! I feel like I never hear of bloggers that are around this area. Whenever I hear about people doing blog get-togethers with other bloggers in the area and I’m always so jealous. If you’re ever in DSM, you’ll have to let me know!

• Reply Clara Artschwager June 13, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Just snagged 2 at BR outlet this weekend thanks to your tip! You look gorgeous, lady!

• Reply Madison Mayberry June 14, 2012 at 10:51 am

Yay! Happy to hear the tip helped. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Helennaturally June 13, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I do not have the problem of finding a maxi dress that is long enough for me. At a whooping 5’3″ I have issues finding one that is short enough, lol! Love the dress ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Katherine Kelly June 13, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Surprisingly, H&M sometimes has ones that are long enough. I’m also 5′ 9″ so I feel your pain. I have two from H&M (one floral print and one strapless (with pockets!)) but their quality isn’t always awesome, so that’s a bit of a bummer.

You look great in this dress! Great buy!

• Reply Madison Mayberry June 14, 2012 at 10:51 am

I SO wish we had an H&M nearby. I guess I’ll just have to settle for taking a trip there next time I’m up in the cities!

• Reply natalie (thesweetslife) June 13, 2012 at 11:06 pm

that dress looks like it was made for you! you look great!! i’m 5’7” and never thought i could pull a maxi dress off…but you’ve changed my mind!

• Reply Madison Mayberry June 14, 2012 at 10:49 am

Goodness, of course you can! You’re tall, thin and beautiful. I think it would look great on you!

• Reply Emily June 13, 2012 at 11:16 pm

You look amazing in that dress! I’m just under 5’11” and have been having a frustrating time finding one long enough – I’ll definitely check this out!

• Reply Madison Mayberry June 14, 2012 at 10:49 am

Do check it out! More people need to make dresses for tall girls. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Caity G. June 14, 2012 at 2:38 am

I’m 6’2 and just bought this same dress! It is the first maxi dress that has been long enough on me! Love the necklaces you’ve paired it with here, will have to try that! Lovely look!

• Reply Madison Mayberry June 14, 2012 at 10:46 am

Don’t you love it? I was shocked with how long their dresses were. I tried another one on that was literally too long. Fantastic for us tall girls! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Angela Ten Clay June 14, 2012 at 2:39 am

You are so gorgeous, Madi! You look fantastic. Love your necklace. Where is it from?!

• Reply Madison Mayberry June 14, 2012 at 10:45 am

Thanks, Angela! My necklaces are actually from Forever 21, where I get all my fun jewelry. I’m too cheap to spend money on trendy necklaces and earrings. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Kate June 15, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I’m 6-0 and have purchased two maxi dresses from Anthropologie that were long enough for me.

• Reply Anna Wootton June 24, 2012 at 4:54 am

SO funny having just written a comment on your About page about where you got that maxi dress and the fact that I struggle finding them because I’m tall-ish (I’m 5’8″)!!! So freaky that I kept reading your old posts and came across this one, where you answer all my questions! I will have to check out BR for this dress. I definitely struggle, not just with maxi dresses but also regular dresses, finding ones that are long enough. As much as I love budget shopping I really struggle at places like Forever 21, finding dresses that cover my butt! Old Navy have surprised me recently (they’re the only other place I have bought a maxi) – they are the same family of stores as BR and Gap I guess, which both do dresses long enough, so it makes sense. And H&M can be hit and miss but often I am able to find good length dresses there too! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Laura M Staugaitis June 26, 2012 at 3:01 pm

You can also try grabbing the bottom hem and tying it in a knot that falls around your shin, if you’re in a more casual setting. This distracts from the exact length of the dress and is a fun and cost-free way to change up the outfit. I did this recently at an evening event that I wore an (anthropologie) maxi to, and it made dancing and walking around the lawn much more carefree!

• Reply Cindy @ The Flipping Couple August 14, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I just tried on this dress at the outlet mall on Sunday and thought of you! It was on clearance for $30! and I loved it, but I ended up going with a striped maxi instead to satisfy my current obsession with stripes. I’m so excited to FINALLY have found a maxi dress I adore. Thanks for the recommendation!