Fashion

Shorts and Stripes

June 25, 2012

{Shorts: Banana Republic Outlet; Sandals: J. Crew; Bracelet: Banana Republic Outlet; Shirt: Ann Taylor Loft}

Somewhere along the lines in the last couple years, I’ve grown to stop hating shorts and, dare I say, actually enjoy wearing them. I’m not sure when the shift happened, but I’m going with it. Though I’m still not sure shorts are the most flattering choice, they’re just so darn practical at times that it’s hard to avoid wearing them all together. Though I certainly did try to avoid them for many years, now I’m saying to heck with it. Give me some shorts, and make them pink while you’re at it!

Do any of you hate shorts as much as I used to? And if so, what do you wear instead of shorts when the weather is hot?

• Reply Cara June 25, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Super cute look! I’m a shorts kinda girl myself so I say keep creating looks like this with them that you can love and feel good in. You look great in them!

• Reply UrbanWife June 25, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Love those shorts so much! They look fab on you. I’ve had my eye on some citrusy ones from Ann Taylor for a while now. In Florida, shorts are pretty much as necessary as air conditioning!

• Reply Caitlyn Hendrickson June 25, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Maddie- stumbled on your blog a few months ago, and I must say, I do love the outfit posts. Keep it up!

• Reply Emilie June 25, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I used to hate shorts but now I kind of love them too. Although I still love dresses more. And I have those same BR outlet ones! They fit so well.

• Reply Kate June 25, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I hate shorts, I’ve always been more of a dresses/skirts kind of girl. People are always shocked that I don’t wear jeans. I do see the appeal of shorts though.

• Reply Kristin June 25, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I love shorts! Especially the colored ones that are popping up this year. I’d honestly wear them everyday if possible.

• Reply Laura June 25, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I love this outfit! I just recently bought some shorts in the same shade at Gap. I’ll have to try them out with stripes! you look so cute šŸ™‚

• Reply Kammie @ Sensual Appeal June 25, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Such a cute oufit, Madison. Loving the color shorts! I need to get some too. I love my color pants I have but sometimes it’s just too hot out to wear those.

• Reply ashley June 26, 2012 at 12:59 am

Love, love this outfit! I am definitely a shorts girl. Where did you get the bag? Love it!

• Reply Katie Smith June 26, 2012 at 3:48 am

great outfit!!! i really think stripes and bold colors are the perfect summer combo… i like the post title šŸ™‚

• Reply Kathleen876 June 27, 2012 at 12:51 am

I think you look adorable and you are tall and should not hate shorts. I , like many women, have my one body part I hate (and myself am slowly healing from long struggle with self-confidence and intermittent eating disorder) which is my legs. I really used to hate shorts and am slowly starting to wear them more but I usually revert to cute cloth skirts (got some great ones for $12 at Old Navy this spring) or sundresses. I think they are more comfortable, more feminine , and more flattering. Embrace those long legs (I am 5’4 1/2 lol.. every inch counts) and keep up the inspirational entries. They are surely affecting people more than you even realize.

• Reply Madison Mayberry June 27, 2012 at 11:00 am

Thanks, Kathleen! Next time I think about complaining, I’m going to remember your comment and be thankful for my height. When you’ve always been tall like I have, it’s something I take for granted sometimes.

• Reply Diana June 27, 2012 at 10:10 pm

You look great! Super cute outfit. I used to hate shorts, too, but for some reason this summer I’m living in them. If only my legs weren’t so zombie white, I might actually look not too bad. Anyway, love this combo!

• Reply Madison Mayberry June 29, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Self tanner has been my best friend this summer! Last year (I hate to admit it) I went to the tanning bed a handful of times before our wedding so I would have a nice color in my dress, but since I know how bad they are for my skin, I’ve been going the self tanner route. šŸ™‚

• Reply Elizabeth June 28, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t think shorts were flattering. You’re tiny and adorable! Love the color combo!

• Reply Madison Mayberry June 29, 2012 at 2:34 pm

You, my dear, are too sweet. Thank you!

• Reply Marissa June 28, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I agree about shorts! I usually opt for skirts instead in the summer, still nice and cool but I think theyre more flattering.
    Although this year I did embrace the coloured shorts and picked up a pair of purple boyfriend shorts and probably the same ones you have from banana republic outlet in peach!

• Reply Madison Mayberry June 29, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Those shorts from Banana are great, aren’t they? They’re short, yes, but they don’t feel like they are too tight or inappropriate, which I love.