Happy Golden Birthday, Nutmeg!

November 7, 2012

On Tuesday, our beloved little puppy turned six! Not only did she turn six, but she did so on November 6 and was born in 2006! So I decided to make her “golden birthday” a little extra special with a puppy cake covered in golden yellow “frosting” made with cream cheese, peanut butter, milk and honey. I realize that this makes me a certifiably crazy puppy parent. But until we have children, Nutmeg is our baby, and we both love her to pieces.

Nutmeg, thank you for being the absolute best dog we could have ever asked for. Never in my wildest dreams would I have anticipated loving a little fur ball this much.

• Reply Urban Wife November 7, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Awww, happy birthday to Nutmeg! That cake looks tasty…

• Reply Amber November 7, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Happy Birthday, Nut! Cute cake!

• Reply jaime @ asweetroad.com November 7, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Oh my gosh that is the most adorable thing I have ever seen (the dog and the cake). I need to go cuddle with my dog now!

• Reply Marissa November 8, 2012 at 4:17 pm

What is the cake made of? (was it dog-friendly, people-friendly, or both)? My rescue pup is 5ish, but he’s coming up to his 1-year as being mine, and it’d be fun to make him a treat!
    Nutmeg is super cute and very lucky to have you two for his people!

• Reply MadisonMayberry November 9, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Hi Marissa. The cake itself is actually just a basic recipe for banana bread made with whole wheat flour and without any added sugar. Edible for humans, too, but not all that tasty. And the frosting is made with: 8 oz. cream cheese, 2-3 tablespoons honey, 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter and a little milk to thin it out. I also added a couple drops of food coloring to make it the “golden” color I was going for.

• Reply Marissa November 12, 2012 at 9:50 pm