Roasted Brussels Sprouts

December 9, 2012

Without a doubt, Brussels sprouts are my favorite vegetable. Coming from a vegetable lover like myself, that’s a pretty bold statement. But nothing else compares to these little cabbages. Naturally, it makes me sad to hear that a lot of people think they don’t like Brussels sprouts, and even worse, that they like them but don’t know how to prepare them at home.

Truth be told, it’s incredibly easy to make Brussels sprouts cooked to perfection. After trimming the ends off, all it takes is a light coating of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. The second layer of flavor comes through the cooking method. Roasting these veggies adds rich, nutty flavor that can’t be beat. Like me, you may find that some of the leaves of the sprouts get a little crispy. Don’t worry about it! I actually think that the crisp bits are the best part about roasted Brussels sprouts.

The one thing that can take this dish from really good to amazing? A light dusting of grated Parmesan cheese while the Brussels sprouts are still warm. Give them a try. I promise you that you won’t be disappointed. And if you think you don’t like Brussels sprouts, maybe this recipe can change your mind.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Ingredients
*1 lb. Brussels sprouts, ends removed and halved or quartered depending on the size
*1 tablespoon olive oil
*1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
*1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
*Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

Instructions
*Preheat oven to 400Ā°F. Place Brussels sprouts on a roasting pan or baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle with the salt and ground black pepper. Spread Brussels sprouts in an even layer and roast in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, turning once or twice during roasting, until sprouts are tender and edges begin to brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.

Happy Cooking!

• Reply Urban Wife December 10, 2012 at 12:31 am

I love Brussels sprouts! Usually we add some shallots and a dash of crushed red pepper flakes. Yum!

• Reply greensnchocolate December 10, 2012 at 3:34 am

Brussels sprouts are my favorite too! I love when the leaves get crispy from roasting šŸ™‚

• Reply Cassandra December 10, 2012 at 4:03 am

Honestly, I DO NOT like roasted brussels sprouts, or steamed, or any way at all really… except sauteed with onions. That’s the only way I can tolerate/enjoy them. It’s like roasted, but to the next level! To keep it healthier, I roast them first, then finish them by sauteing.

• Reply Cindy @ The Flipping Couple December 10, 2012 at 4:32 am

I LOVE bussels sprouts! I did not, however, know they were called “brussels” sprouts (with an s) until a tweet of yours a while back. So thanks for the education. I’ve been calling them brussel sprouts my whole life. Ha!

• Reply Sara December 10, 2012 at 11:45 am

i agree. brussels sprouts are the absolute best – especially when roasted like this.

• Reply Ashley @ Happy Penguin Press December 10, 2012 at 5:32 pm

We do this cooking method to everything from green beans to French baby carrots, and also Brussels sprouts. For Thanksgiving we tossed them with a touch of molasses after baking. Yum!

• Reply justinelorelle December 10, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I didn’t start eating brussels sprouts until about six months ago (after a bad steamed experience in my youth), and now I can’t get enough! Roasting with olive oil is definitely the way to go. (It’s also how I cook most vegetables ha.)

• Reply Maggie www.magpiesandmore.com December 11, 2012 at 2:31 pm

My favorite too! Prepared just like this — plain and simple šŸ™‚

• Reply Stacy Lane December 12, 2012 at 2:55 pm

We had those the night before last! My husband put them back in the oven for another 20 minutes, he loves them pretty much burned to a crisp on the outside! I’ve never been a fan of this veggie until recently, interesting how your taste changes isn’t it?