Our (New) Morning Favorite: Matcha

March 5, 2013

Matcha_Tea_Latte_1

In an attempt to be semi-frugal about our grocery shopping Joe and I typically make most of our purchases at Trader Joes and Costco. Between our weekly TJ’s trip and our bi-monthly Costco visits, we can get pretty much everything we need while still staying on budget. I also happen to love Whole Foods and could easily spend hours browsing the isles on a Saturday morning if left to my own devices. However, I try to keep trips to WF limited, since I always end up purchasing much more than I need or than our grocery budget allows.

All of this really has nothing to do with our new found love of matcha tea lattes other than the fact that last week I took Joe to Whole Foods in search of matcha powder. Then paid $32 (!!) for a canister of the stuff. Joe thought I was crazy, but in the name of good health he agreed that buying expensive matcha was a good thing to do. (I think I’m making that up. What I really mean is that he let me buy it and said it better make us feel amazing.)

What is matcha you ask? It’s green tea powder that’s absolutely packed with antioxidants and brimming with health benefits including:
-Increased energy
-Boosted metabolism
-Disease fighting and prevention against aging (it contains 10x more antioxidants than regular green tea)
-May help fight cancer

Matcha_tea_Latte_2

I’m not entirely sure if drinking a cup of matcha every morning is going to cure all physical ails and turn me into superwoman, but it can’t hurt to hope, right? Joe has taken to drinking a matcha latte with milk every morning in place of his morning cup of coffee and I find that it makes a great afternoon pick-me-up.

Thanks to my friend, Natalie, for inspiring me to try matcha for the first time! If you are looking for a how-to post on making matcha tea lattes Natalie has a great little video on her site that is extremely helpful. Side note: I haven’t quite mastered the art of making a matcha latte that is 100% smooth, as evidenced by the green specks in my photos. I’m working on it!

Have you tried matcha? If so, what do you think of it and how do you use it?

• Reply Bridget Miller March 5, 2013 at 4:51 pm

great styling in this post madison! gorgeous!

• Reply Annie Wang March 5, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Buy the matcha powder at United Noodle (in Minneapolis) — it was definitely not $32 the last time I checked! There’s one matcha drink that I make all the time in the summer: it has about a teaspoon of honey for every cup of match tea, and then you shake it in a cocktail shaker with some ice to chill the tea. So refreshing.

• Reply Madison Mayberry March 6, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Thank you for the tip, Annie! I figured Whole Foods was not the cheapest option, but I had no idea where else to get it. To the United Noodle I go!

• Reply misschelsmangia March 6, 2013 at 12:58 am

I love matcha! I put it in my smoothies with a banana and some almond milk, cinnamon, and a little brown rice protein and I am good to go! I found my at WF in the bulk section so it was ALOT LESS! 🙂

• Reply Madison Mayberry March 6, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I had never even thought about adding it to smoothies, but that’s a fantastic idea! Especially now that we will be making smoothies more and hot tea less in the spring/summer.

• Reply Jessica Scheuer March 6, 2013 at 2:32 pm

oh i’ve never had matcha, but i’ve been dying to know more about it so thanks for sharing!

p.s. amazon seems to have it a bit cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/Matcha-Green-Tea-Powder-10/dp/B001F10XUU

• Reply Madison Mayberry March 6, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Thank you for the tip, Jessica! I should have known AmaZon would have it cheaper than Whole Foods. (my hubby will thank you, too!)

• Reply em March 6, 2013 at 3:22 pm

ah, i’ve just started getting into matcha too! did you sift the matcha first before putting it in your cup? i use a metal tea infuser and push it all through with a spoon…this seems to keep clumps from forming! yum!

• Reply Madison Mayberry March 6, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I didn’t sift it. I just added a little water to make a paste. Actually I had no idea I needed to sift it, but I’ll give it a try next time. Thanks, Em!

• Reply Natalie Lynn Borton March 6, 2013 at 3:43 pm

So glad you’re enjoying the matcha latte!! Thanks for the shout out 🙂

• Reply Madison Mayberry March 6, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Thanks for the inspiration, Natalie!

• Reply Matcha Tea | How Do You Brew Tea March 6, 2013 at 9:30 pm

[…] Espresso and Cream | Our (New) Morning Favorite: Matcha … http://espressoandcream.com/All of this really has nothing to do with our new found love of matcha tea lattes other than the fact that last week I took Joe to Whole Foods in search of matcha powder. Then paid $32 (!!) for a canister of the stuff. Joe thought I … […]

• Reply Whitney @ The Newlywed Chefs March 7, 2013 at 3:26 am

I’ve never tried matcha, but will all these health benefits I think I need to!

• Reply Madison Mayberry March 7, 2013 at 2:24 pm

If you do give matcha a try, let me know what you think, Whitney! 🙂

• Reply Eric Gower March 8, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Madison, definitely sift the matcha. Just place a small sieve over a mug or creamer, and scoop in about 1/2 teaspoon. Shake the sieve with one hand, and gently press the remaining matcha through with a spoon or a specially designed matcha scoop (inexpensive and totally worth it).

Then pour in VERY little hot water. The less water you use, the better your crema will be. Maybe an ounce / a shotglass full.

Then use a handheld electric milk frothing wand (cheap ones are just several dollars at places like IKEA, better ones are about $20)After you’ve created great crema, you can thin out the strong matcha to whatever consistency you like. If you’re using quality matcha, you won’t need milk — it’ll be creamy and smooth and sweet and yummy all on its own, and it will resemble espresso in mouthfeel. Lower-quality matcha will require milk and sweetener to make it palatable.

Lots more info at http://breakawaymatcha.com , but don’t have a heart attack when you see the price of truly artisanal matcha; the best stuff is ipso facto expensive because of many factors. Check out the masterclass for tons more info and tips.

• Reply Eric Gower March 8, 2013 at 6:56 pm

And yes, fantastic styling — really great job!

• Reply Laura March 9, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Thanks for sharing! The almond meal cookies look fantastic, too, and I can’t wait to make them… I am really enjoying your life-giving posts so far, since I can’t enjoy gluten-and-dairy filled things… And because I am curious but skeptical of things like matcha powder – so I appreciate another opinion from a discerning and budget-minded gal!

• Reply ShannonLC March 10, 2013 at 2:15 am

I would love to try this, but I am not a big tea fan, however I do like Chia tea. Does this have any sweetness to it, or does it taste like regular tea?

• Reply Madison Mayberry March 10, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Shannon –

The matcha has a stronger taste but does not taste like traditional tea. It has a bit of a “grassy” taste” that reminds me a little bit of a green smoothie. I like to sweeten mine with a little stevia and add some vanilla extract to make it tastier.

• Reply Rick Wagner March 16, 2013 at 9:38 pm

The best Matcha is Teavana. The can last over a month and you can get it the cheapest at http://www.coldsoreproductreviews.com/ I have it every morning!

• Reply jade March 22, 2013 at 12:19 am

If you love matcha, you might want to check out http://www.jademonk.com for some amazing flavored matcha teas. Not only are they loaded with antioxidants and super healthy for you, they taste amazing. Packaged for on-the-go convenience, you can mix it in your water bottle and enjoy…no hot water necessary. Guaranteed to be your new favorite drink!