Dining Room Home Tour

May 16, 2013

Flowers_Table_1

Today I’m excited to take you on a little tour of our dining room, also known as my favorite room in the house. It’s not the room we spend the most time in,
but it’s certainly my favorite. The way the colors came together and the little details, it all just works.

This room is technically a bedroom. When we purchased the home, it was decorated as a kid’s bedroom, and had two doors, one that opened to the kitchen and the other to the hallway.
It was a little strange to have a bedroom (that we didn’t need) that opened into the kitchen, so when we moved in we took the door off the hinges between the bedroom and kitchen
and turned it into a dining room. It’s been a great place to entertain friends and familyand I couldn’t imagine our house without it!
Though I suppose when we have more than one kid, we might need to think about turning it back into
a bedroom. Here’s a little look at my favorite room in the house:

Wine_Rack_1

Our wine glasses and bottles were stored away in the cabinet in our previous apartment. This wine rack from Pottery Barn fit perfectly
into the corner of our dining room and gives us a place to display some of our favorite bottles of wine.
Although we bought our wine rack at Pottery Barn, we recently discovered you can also buy a very similar model at Costco for much cheaper!

Silver_Side_Table_1

If I had to pick one picture that sums up my decorating style, this would be it. The silver table (which I’ve had forever and was purchased at a second hand store, I believe)
is classic with a little hit of something special. We currently have it filled with odds and ends for entertaining, like paper napkins, place mats and the like.
The wall color we chose is Benjamin Moore Rockport Grey; I couldn’t be more trilled with the results. It’s warm enough to feel cozy instead of cold.
The rug was newly purchased from West Elm.

Curtains_1

The drapes are also from West Elm. Instead of putting the rod right above the windows, we installed the rod as close to the ceiling as possible, leaving a little bit of excess at the bottom,
to give the room a taller and more dramatic feel.

Painting_1

This painting, which my mom found at HomeGoods last year, is my favorite piece of artwork in the house.
And it happens to fit perfectly between the doorway (to the kitchen) and the pantry.

IMG_0536

Since the dining room is technically a bedroom (and was used that way when we bought the house), we had a decent-sized closet to work with.
Since we didn’t need the closet to store clothing, we installed closet organization systems from The Container Store so I could store some of my larger
kitchen appliances. We are short on pantry space in our kitchen, so this was a real lifesaver.

Chandelier_1

And finally, the light fixture. When we first saw the room, it was decorated with bright green paint and was fashioned as a kid’s bedroom.
The light fixture (which appears to be original to this 1952 house) was on my hit list of things I had to remove asap! But, once we painted
the room grey, the light figure really grew on me. In fact, I would dare to say that I love it now. Since unique and quirky antiques are
in style these days, it seems ashamed to get rid of such a fun and different addition to the room.

And that’s that! Thanks for taking a tour with me. Up next week? Our master bedroom.

• Reply DessertForTwo May 16, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Gosh, I love home tours so much! Your’s is just beautiful!

And omg I had that wine rack from Pottery barn in my shopping cart! I’m going to look for the cheaper version at Costco–thanks! šŸ™‚

• Reply MadisonMayberry May 16, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Yes! You have to check out Costco. We love the wine racks we got SO much. It’s better than having the glasses just sitting in a cabinet on the top shelf and I think we drink more wine because of it! šŸ˜‰

• Reply Katie Stedman May 16, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Beautiful! I’m in love what you did with the closet! Are the baskets hanging on the door from the Container Store, too?

• Reply MadisonMayberry May 16, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Thanks, Katie! Yes, the baskets hanging on the door are Container Store as well! Super easy to install. They rattle a little when you open the door, but it’s totally worth it for the extra storage!

• Reply Katie Stedman May 16, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I’ve been wanting to do something like this for our pantry space. Did you go with the Elpha system?

• Reply MadisonMayberry May 16, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Yes! We used the Elpha system in our pantry (the open shelf version) and then we used the Elpha system in both of our closets, too! The first one took a while to install, but once we got it down, the second two closets were super easy and created SO much space.

• Katie Stedman May 17, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Love. Thanks for the info, lady!!

• Reply Cassandra Russom May 16, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I love the detail shots (THAT LAMP!!!), but I would love to see a full view of the whole dining room.

• Reply MadisonMayberry May 16, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Cassandra, I tried to get a whole shot but got super frustrated. I think because the room is on the smaller side it was hard to get far enough back to really give an idea of what the room looks like. Perhaps I can try standing outside and shooting through the open window? I’ll let you know! šŸ™‚

• Reply Cindy Germann May 16, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I love your entire house, but you’re right – this room just came together perfectly! That’s a gorgeous gray and I love the wine rack so much.

• Reply stephanie wise May 16, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Your home is so dreamy! And I LOVE that Rockport Grey… we painted a good chunk of our last place in that color and I definitely plan to do it again when we move into a paintable home šŸ™‚

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough

• Reply Rebekah Netten May 16, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Looks great Madison! Love the paint color! I really like that you kept the original light fixture too.

• Reply MadisonMayberry May 17, 2013 at 10:23 am

Thanks so much, Rebekah!

• Reply Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray May 16, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I loved this tour!! That chandelier is gorgeous – so glad you kept it. šŸ™‚

• Reply MadisonMayberry May 17, 2013 at 10:22 am

Thanks, Tara! I’m really happy we kept it too. Plus, it’s nice to save a little money and use what the house already had. šŸ™‚

• Reply Gabby Bladdick May 16, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Love all the little details, but would love to see more wide-shot photos! You talk about hanging the curtains high and wide…I want to see ’em!

• Reply MadisonMayberry May 17, 2013 at 10:22 am

Thanks, Gabby! I realized that shooting pictures of homes is MUCH harder than pictures of food. At least for me. I’m going to try harder to get a few more full room shots this weekend!

• Reply Gabby Bladdick May 17, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I can imagine! We’re all just being a little too nosy here, I suppose! šŸ™‚ Enjoy your weekend!

• Reply Michellanne Deutsch May 16, 2013 at 7:53 pm

I love seeing how you decorate your house! I am getting serious about styling my apartment, and it’s really inspiring to see what you and your husband have done!

• Reply MadisonMayberry May 17, 2013 at 10:16 am

What a fun project, Michellanne! Good luck with your apartment decorating!

• Reply Mindy Northrop May 17, 2013 at 1:16 am