E&C Home Tour: The Kitchen

July 24, 2013

Kitchen_2

I’m super excited to share with you the next installment of the Espresso and Cream home tour! Today’s room of focus: the kitchen! When we were looking at houses to buy, I soon realized that I was charmed by older houses. Not super large old houses, but ranch-style houses built in the 50’s and 60’s. I guess part of that is the fact that I grew up in a ranch-style home. However, I wasn’t in love with the outdated kitchens that we saw in a number of the houses we looked at. Joe and I were okay with a few house projects but didn’t want anything major to tackle (like a complete kitchen renovation).

When I saw this kitchen, it was a huge selling point. Although it’s not large by any stretch of the imagination, it’s roomy enough to feel comfortable while preparing a large meal and the appliances and details are modern and updated while still fitting in with the rest of the house. One of my favorite features of the kitchen is the back splash/tile. I also love our cute little window that looks out into the backyard. It’s fun to have a pretty view while doing the dishes!

Kitchen_1

As you can see, we have quite the collection of coffee appliances on the counter. A coffee maker, a Nespresso Pixie espresso machine and a milk frother for lattes. Our kitchen sink is super deep, which I take full advantage of when entertaining. It’s nice to be able to set dishes in the sink and out of view from guests until I have time to clean up after they leave.

Kitchen_3

On the opposite side of the kitchen I have a small stone with some of my frequently used items such as olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper and a candle when funky smells linger a little too long. I also have all my knives within reach.

Kitchen_5

This is a shot looking into the kitchen from the dining room. You can see we have a little eat-in kitchen area. Eventually Joe and I would like to have built-in benches put along the two sides of the wall so we can fit more people around the table for casual meals. Right now, it only really comfortably sits four people at the most. However, the table, which is an antique, has a built-in leaf that we would be able to pull out to fit six people if we went the built-in route. But that’s another project for another time! It’s hard not to want to do everything at once.

• Reply Urban Wife July 24, 2013 at 2:57 am

It’s a very inviting kitchen! Love it – my favorite is the backsplash and the kitchen sink light.

• Reply Kristin July 24, 2013 at 11:32 am

I really love the kitchen table. Where did you get it?

• Reply Sarah Dillard July 24, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Adorable kitchen, with an even more adorable Nutmeg under the kitchen table. That is my dog’s favorite place to be!

• Reply Jenni July 24, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Loving your knife holders! Where did you find them?

• Reply Katie Taylor July 24, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Love your kitchen, especially the wall color and backsplash. I just found your blog and feel like I can really relate to you, even though we are from completely different parts of the country! Im a 25-year-old public relations and social media managing health-nut from NJ! πŸ™‚ Can’t wait to read more.

• Reply Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough July 24, 2013 at 5:35 pm

OHMYGOSH your kitchen is stunning! I could live in there. Can I? πŸ˜‰

• Reply Laura Britton July 24, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I love your cute little kitchen! It was smart of you to realize that you needed something functional and mostly updated since you didn’t want to do a big kitchen reno. I love the color on the walls – did you pick that out or were they already painted? I think built-in benches would be adorable!

• Reply Mindy July 25, 2013 at 1:01 am

So cute! We’re smack dab in the middle of a kitchen gut and our finished kitchen will have a lot of similar things. Including, wait for it, a DISHWASHER. Twelve years in this house, three kids, and no dishwasher. Can you say cruel and unusual punishment? I can’t WAIT! πŸ™‚

• Reply greensnchocolate July 25, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Adorable! I’m in love with the back splash!

• Reply Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray July 30, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Your kitchen is insanely gorgeous. Also, we have the same teapot! πŸ™‚

• Reply Jenn from much to my delight August 8, 2013 at 1:07 am

Such a tiny detail, but I really love the symmetry of the two little plants flanking the sides of your sink. So cute!

• Reply Madison Mayberry August 10, 2013 at 12:07 am

Glad someone noticed. I love that element, too!

• Reply Espresso and Cream Home: Living Room Refresh | Espresso and Cream January 26, 2014 at 10:23 pm

[…] you’re looking to get caught up, here are the other home tour posts: The Kitchen The Blog RoomΒ  The Dining […]