Gator Gameday

October 7, 2013

CollageFor years, my dad and I have had a little family tradition going. We pick a weekend in October (usually around my birthday) to head down to Gainesville, Florida, to watch the Florida Gators play football.( Joe has been allowed into this club for the past three years, and my Aunt Gwen came this year, too.) Ever since I was very little, I remember sitting with my dad and watching the Gators play while drinking Five Alive fruit juice and eating popcorn. I couldn’t have been more than three or four.

Over the years we have watched a lot of great games together, both in person in front of the TV, at stadiums and over the phone. It’s not uncommon for us to call eachother six or seven times over the course of a game to discuss how things are going. We’ve been to regular season games, bowl games, and even saw Tim Tebow and the Gators win a BCS National Championship in Miami in 2008. Still one of my favorite memories and best experiences of my life.

And although it’s certainly about the football, it’s more than just football. My dad fell in love with watching the Gators play when he was just a teenager living in Florida. He can recount game after game he’s watched and been to over the past five decades, and now I have a full arsenal of stories and memories I hope to pass along to my kids someday. Gator gameday is the time each week when I sit and connect with my dad, and Ben Hill Griffin Stadium is home to every single one of the best memories we have together.
Ā
Madi_Joe_dad
Stadium
MadiJoe

MadiDad

Stadium_2

Oh, and this special day of the year happens to be the only day of the year that I eat chicken. Or any meat for that matter. I just can’t miss out on the family tradition of getting Chick-Fil-A before the game. šŸ˜‰

ChickFilA

• Reply Urban Wife October 7, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Aww, I just love this tradition you have with your Dad! What a great way to make memories. (Haha, and the kid photobomb is hilarious.)

• Reply MadisonMayberry October 10, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Isn’t the kiddo in the back the funniest?! I can’t tell if he was trying to photo bomb the picture or if he was just making a funny face we captured!

• Reply DessertForTwo October 7, 2013 at 4:23 pm

awww so sweet! Love y’all!

• Reply MadisonMayberry October 10, 2013 at 1:30 pm

And we love you, too. šŸ™‚

• Reply jesscuellar October 7, 2013 at 5:29 pm

chik fila is always worth it:) http://semiweeklyeats.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-little-things.html

• Reply MadisonMayberry October 10, 2013 at 1:30 pm

SO true!

• Reply Jessica Polley October 7, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I love this! Was about to do a post on this subject too. My dad and I started this same tradition for Oregon duck games once I started college. So much fun, such good memories. We’ll see if my boyfriend gets let into the club at some point too : )

• Reply MadisonMayberry October 10, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I just got a chance to read your post on your Oregon gameday experience and tradition. It sounds like we have a lot in common with our dads and traditions, even if we cheer for different teams. šŸ˜‰

• Reply sugarplumblog October 8, 2013 at 2:52 am

Happy birthday!

• Reply Lauren October 8, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Nothing like an SEC gameday! (and when at home in the South, you have to eat Chick-fil-a!) Brett and I are going to both the South Carolina and Tennessee games at Mizzou this year, and I can’t wait! We’ll see if Mizzou really belongs šŸ™‚

• Reply MadisonMayberry October 10, 2013 at 1:29 pm

You’ve got it, Lauren. šŸ™‚ So jealous that you are going to two games! Joe and I thought about driving down to see how Mizzou looks, too. I know they are in the top 25 this week, but I’m still a little skeptical. šŸ˜‰

• Reply Amber Kuiper October 8, 2013 at 7:28 pm

I love all these pictures! You look SOOOO happy! šŸ™‚

• Reply Madison Mayberry October 9, 2013 at 11:17 am

Thanks, Ams! It was such a great weekend!

• Reply Julie @ RunninginaSkirt October 9, 2013 at 10:48 am

GO GATORS!!!

• Reply Madison Mayberry October 9, 2013 at 11:17 am

You’ve got it, Julie!! This week is a huge week. Beat LSU!!

• Reply Rachel October 9, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Awwww how fun! Looks like you had an amazing time and what a special moment to share with your dad! šŸ™‚

• Reply MadisonMayberry October 10, 2013 at 1:23 pm

It was such a special weekend, Rachel! It’s amazing how many memories we’ve put together over the years in that stadium. šŸ™‚