Hair How-To: Messy Top-Knot

June 27, 2014

Top Knot Tutorial | Espresso and Cream

The top-knot is one of my absolute favorite hairstyles. I hope so much that it never goes out of style, because once you master the method it’s incredibly easy to do and works great with second (or third) day hair. It’s one of the things I was most excited about when my hair finally started getting longer! Plus, unlike a regular ponytail, it’s really polished looking.

I think one of the biggest misconceptions is that you need really long hair or really thick hair to do a great top-knot. I have neither and I still think I get pretty good results when I style my hair this way. The trick? Teasing your pony for extra volume and a slightly messy look.

Watch the video below for the full tutorial, then use some of your time this weekend to practice! It may take a little while to master, but I promise the effort is worth it. Oh, and if you do give this method a try, I would love to see you post your photos on Instagram! Make sure to use the hashtag #e&ctopknot so I can check them out.

• Reply Cait C June 29, 2014 at 12:52 am

You are the cutest! Can’t wait to try this in the morning, thanks for posting!

• Reply Cindy Germann June 30, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I have the “hot mess” part down…and that’s about it. I definitely need to practice more! I had you helping me out via the iPad in front of my mirror for about 20 minutes yesterday. It’s going to take quite a bit more work before I can appear in public, but I’m really hopeful this can be a new go-to hairstyle for me! Thanks for the tutorial!

• Reply Oakland Avenue June 30, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Wow, wow, wow! Awesome! You have such good volume in your hair to start with – how do you get that? I feel like mine are always sorta slicked back, but I just roll with it since I don’t know how to fix it. šŸ™‚

• Reply Bridget Black July 1, 2014 at 2:03 pm

ooo fun! Ive tried this twice already… need a little practice getting the shape in my bun to stay. thanks for taking the time to record this!

• Reply Kayla July 3, 2014 at 2:44 am

Just had a chance to watch your video! I do the same thing, but I have crazy thick hot-mess hair, so I don’t tease the pony. But that’s a good idea for the days when I’m lacking volume! Sometimes, I split the pony into two parts and then wrap around, it gives it a slightly different look. So easy + so polished! šŸ™‚ TOP KNOTS FOREVER.

• Reply mamawolfeto2 July 25, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Love it-thanks for the back combing trick!

• Reply Heather @ My Overflowing Cup August 1, 2014 at 7:53 pm

The first thing I thought when I saw your cute do was that I need to wait until my hair grows longer. Thanks for teaching me that isn’t true! Love this – pinning it now!

• Reply Amanda - Small Home Big Start August 5, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Great tutorial! I wish I’d found this when I had longer hair. Definitely passing this onto all my long haired girlfriends. Thanks for sharing šŸ™‚

• Reply Denise Whelan August 28, 2014 at 2:54 am

Great tutorial!! I actually did one as well if you would love to check it out! Great blog!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB96nqMcvy8