Infertility and Miscarriage

Praise Be to God

July 10, 2014

Photo on 7-9-14 at 7.49 PM #2
Last night was Ā a restless night of sleep. As much as I wanted to go into a deep sleep, I kept waking up, tossing and turning, wondering what the next morning would hold. Would we see our little baby on the ultrasound, healthy and heart beating? Or would I be sent to surgery immediately after and spending the rest of the day recovering on the couch, piecing together a broken heart?

I want to be clear that whatever the outcome was going to be today, that it doesn’t change the fact that our God is a good god who loves us and knows what is best for us, even when it’s scary, hard and confusing. This isn’t just, “God gave me what I wanted, so I’m going to give Him the praise.” No matter the outcome, we would be praising Him all the same. But I would be lying if I said I wasn’t desperately praying for a miracle that went against every bit of medical advice we were given just a week ago.

It was one of the most beautiful moments I’ve experienced in my life, to hear the ultrasound tech tell us, “I see a baby,” followed by, “Oh, my gosh, I see a heartbeat, too!” Our little baby was there, heartbeat flickering on the ultrasound, measuring 6 weeks 3 days, exactly on track with my calculations. See that little zig-zag on the bottom of the ultrasound picture? That’s the heartbeat!

We have a long way to go, and if I think about it too hard the next 5 1/2 weeks seem incredibly scary. We’ve heard a healthy heartbeat before, only to have that good news followed by heartbreak weeks later. The next few weeks we will continue to be monitored closely. I think this baby is going to have more pictures by 12 weeks than most full-term babies! And although the road seems long and paved with uncertainty, I am trusting in God’s plan. And I would appreciate more than anything your continued prayers as we go into uncharted waters in the weeks to come.

But for now, praise be to God! Know that if you lifted up a prayer for us in the last week, I believe with every fiber of my being that you had a hand in helping this baby get this far. God heard us, and He answered our prayers today! I know it doesn’t always work out that way, but Joe and I are both rejoicing. Thank you for your support, your prayers, emails, comments, texts and general love. We’ve felt so supported and surrounded, knowing that when we are too weak or weary to pray, others are praying on our behalf.

• Reply Emily S July 10, 2014 at 1:10 am

How WONDERFUL!!!! Praises lifted!

• Reply Natalie Lynn Borton July 10, 2014 at 1:20 am

BEST NEWS EVER!! Thank you for being open and sharing your journey. I’ll keep praying for you, Joe and baby Hofmeyer!! XO

• Reply Shanna July 10, 2014 at 1:21 am

Oh, Madison. This makes me so happy. It is so sweet to know He can do anything. I told you before I knew you were pregnant again that I feel so hopeful for our futures and I still felt that way through the scary news the last few weeks. Now even more so. He is good and everything He does is good and this one of the incredibly easy ways to see it.

• Reply Kim M. July 10, 2014 at 1:21 am

This is awesome news! I will continue to pray for you!

• Reply Heidi Mc July 10, 2014 at 1:29 am

I’m crying tears of joy for you!

• Reply Urban Wife July 10, 2014 at 1:44 am

Amen…God is so, so good! I’ll continue lifting you and baby up in prayer. No matter what, your honesty and openness in sharing this journey is such an amazing testimony. Hugs, friend!

• Reply Andrea July 10, 2014 at 1:48 am

I’ve been thinking and praying for you all day and am so excited for your happy news. God is good! We will keep praying.

• Reply natalie@thesweetslife July 10, 2014 at 1:58 am

THRILLED!

• Reply Angelia July 10, 2014 at 2:05 am

This is so exciting! You are in my prayers.

• Reply Heather Disarro July 10, 2014 at 2:09 am

My heart is rejoicing so loudly right now. You’re so right that God is worthy of praise no matter what happens, but I can’t help but sing a little louder because of this great news! Sending you love and continued prayer my sweet friend!

• Reply Alicia July 10, 2014 at 2:10 am

Praise God for answer to heartfelt prayers. SOOO happy for you, and will continue to pray for God’s incredible provision every step of the way.

• Reply Kate July 10, 2014 at 2:42 am

YAY!!!!!!!! What wonderful news! Continued prayers for you!

• Reply Carissa July 10, 2014 at 2:49 am

Praise God! After reading your last blog I forwarded your post to my family to cover you in prayer. We are so happy for you!

• Reply Randy Youngblood July 10, 2014 at 3:20 am

Hey good work daughter! I love you!

• Reply Jenny July 10, 2014 at 2:51 am

So thankful for your wonderful news and sending continued prayers for you and baby!

• Reply Mindy July 10, 2014 at 3:04 am

Ohhhhh, this made my heart happy. Continued prayers and good thoughts coming your way.

• Reply DessertForTwo July 10, 2014 at 3:18 am

I’m so glad to hear this. The prayers are still going to flow your way xoxoox

• Reply Randy Youngblood July 10, 2014 at 3:19 am

Last week one of my daughters emailed your blog to me and asked me to pray for you and I put you on my prayer card. I’m thrilled to be part of your prayer army!

• Reply Lora July 10, 2014 at 3:48 am

Our God is an awesome God! Prayers for all of you will continue.

• Reply Kimmi July 10, 2014 at 4:05 am

So many prayers your way! Will keep you and your little family in our thoughts and hope for more happy news to come!

• Reply Kkrheard July 10, 2014 at 10:09 am

This filled my heart with joy! I will continue praying for a healthy baby!

• Reply Julie @ Running in a Skirt July 10, 2014 at 10:54 am

I literally had tears of joy in my eyes when I read
    this! More prayers coming your way that
    you will have a healthy baby.

• Reply Katherine Kelly July 10, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Praise God! I am so excited for you and Joe and will continue to pray that this little one continues to be healthy (and you, too!) throughout the journey. You are never alone! Sending love and prayers your way.

• Reply Beth K July 10, 2014 at 1:10 pm

That’s wonderful, I’m so happy for you! I’ve been thinking of you, and I’m so glad to hear it’s good news. Sending good thoughts for the rest of your pregnancy!

• Reply JBoltnar July 10, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Praise God! I will continue to keep you in my prayers, have faith for God knows the plans he has for you and that baby šŸ˜‰

• Reply Abby July 10, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Had tears in my eyes when I saw your post on instagram! You and Joey and your precious baby are in my prayers. Praying that we get to see pictures of this miracle baby in about 34 weeks or so!

• Reply Justine July 10, 2014 at 1:49 pm

So so so so so so so (I could go on!) happy for the three of you! Love you, girl.

• Reply Elena Ballam July 10, 2014 at 2:18 pm

SOOO wonderful!!! I didn’t tell this part of my story on my blog, but with this current pregnancy (after two miscarriages), I woke up one morning with extreme pain in the left side of my lower back. I was a few days late for my period, so I took a test, and that’s how I found out I was pregnant. Because of the pain, my immediate fear was an ectopic pregnancy. And sure enough, when I went to the ER, they did an ultrasound and said they thought it was an ectopic and were planning to do surgery to remove my ovary and tube!! For a few hours I was in despair, but then my dr. came to give a second opinion, and discovered that it was actually just a kidney stone. Now I sit here, almost 34 weeks pregnant. Miracles (and doctor’s mistakes) definitely happen. I am rejoicing with you and your family.

• Reply Jenn Mietla July 10, 2014 at 2:41 pm

I was completely overcome with joy when I saw your instagram post
    yesterday! I am so thrilled for all three of you and I will continue
    lifting you all up in prayer to God. He can do wonderful things and
    nothing is impossible with Him!

• Reply Katie July 10, 2014 at 3:35 pm

So excited for you both! Our daughter is now 13 months and just such a joy and blessing.

• Reply Joanna July 10, 2014 at 3:47 pm

And we’re rejoicing with you! What a gift. What a good, good God.

• Reply Jen July 10, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Amazing and wonderful and oh so lovely! Continued prayers and a hug being sent your way šŸ™‚

• Reply Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough July 10, 2014 at 4:30 pm

This just makes my week. How great our God is! I am praying for that beautiful, blessed baby of yours!

• Reply Breanna July 10, 2014 at 7:56 pm

All I have to say is šŸ™‚

• Reply Rachel July 10, 2014 at 9:01 pm

YAY! Continued prayers for you guys!!!!!!!!!! šŸ™‚

• Reply Ali Grace July 10, 2014 at 11:42 pm

Oh yay!!! Will continue to pray for y’all!

• Reply Mikalah July 11, 2014 at 1:10 am

Praise the Lord! I will keep on praying! =)

• Reply Erika July 11, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Praise be to God! I’m so happy and hopeful for you! I will continue to pray for you.

• Reply treasureandheart July 11, 2014 at 5:47 pm

so so SO excited for you!!!!! God is so good!

• Reply jesscuellar July 11, 2014 at 7:57 pm

wonderful news, madison!!

• Reply Ginny July 15, 2014 at 1:57 am

So excited! And praying for you!

• Reply Julie July 15, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I saw your blog for the 1st time a couple weeks ago when another blogger I regularly follow posted a link & asked for prayers for you. That was the post where you got some scary news, but decided not to go through w/ a D&C yet. Thank God you didn’t! Since then I have prayed & prayed for you. When I read this post this morning, it brought tears to my eyes. I will continue to pray for you & this baby. I have also been in a position in the past where I questioned God’s plan for me & His timeline. I know you know this, but He DOES have a plan for us, & His timeline is not always our own, but if we’re patient He WILL come thru, & we will see it. I am so blessed now & have truly seen how God provides & how I can trust in Him. I know your time is coming, too. Hang in there… don’t lose hope or faith.

• Reply Marie-Sophie July 18, 2014 at 1:18 am

Wonderful news!!! I just recently found your blog. I have an abnormality of the uterus (it’s how I was born) and doctors told me that I would have problems staying pregnant (the getting pregnant also got tricky as my body had a hard time after getting off the pill). I then took the decision to trust god and simply enjoy a pregnancy as long as it would last. I would not let anyone or anything take away the time I had with my kid. I am now almost 26 weeks pregnant. Don’t let fear take away the joy that you have with your unborn each and every single day! <3

• Reply Corinne October 14, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Hi Madison – I just stumbled across your post on the Twin Cities mom’s blog and then linked back to your blog here. I had two consecutive miscarriages and yet all my tests came back normal, like you. I just wanted to let you know how comforting your posts have been to me. I’ve felt so lost in the wake of both miscarriages and not really sure how to feel. You have made me feel less alone, and reminded me of His plan for me and my future-family. šŸ™‚ Thank you.

• Reply mothering spirit October 14, 2014 at 4:31 pm

What an amazing story! Found your blog via the Twin Cities Moms blog, too, and this is such an uplifting story for my day. We suffered a miscarriage last year and now we have baby #3 healthy and happy in our arms, and the miracle just amazes me every day. Praying for you and your little one!

• Reply Betsy Brown October 15, 2014 at 3:28 am

That’s amazing! We went through a similar week of waiting at 7 weeks. Fittingly during Holy Week, the ultrasound technician found the strong heartbeat of my daughter, who will be two next month! I’m not sure why we doubt, when God can do such amazing things!