Pregnancy, Uncategorized

17 Weeks

September 23, 2014

photo

How far along are you?  17 weeks 1 day
Generally Feeling: This is the first week that I can say I’m truly starting to feel better. Mornings continue to be hard, since nothing really sounds good, but for the most part the nausea is getting more manageable. I’ve been battling bad headaches in the past couple weeks, but I’m finding that it’s almost 100% related to how much water I’ve been drinking. If I up my water intake they go away, so I’m continuing to be mindful of that.
Showing? Yes! Not a lot, but enough that I feel more pregnant and it no longer feels like it varies as much from day to day. Seeing a little bump makes it feel so much more real.
Cravings? Milk! I was never much of a milk drinker before I got pregnant, but now I can’t get enough. I discovered the most wonderful “healthy milkshake” the other day and have literally been drinking one or two a day. Combine 1 cup whole milk (preferably organic) with a big handful of ice, a dash of real vanilla extract and a pinch of stevia and blend on high in the blender until creamy and frothy. So tasty!
Weight Gain: 13 pounds
Fears: Pregnancy is funny because I feel like I go from one fixation to another. I’ve been working really hard not to give into irrational fears. My doctor confirmed this week that although baby’s sitting low, growth (measured in fundal height) is appropriate, so that’s one less thing to worry about! I’m continuing to realize that there will always be something to worry about if I want to.
Looking Forward To: Still getting anxious to decorate. I’ve been Pinning nursery ideas like crazy and sending all my inspiration over to my mom, who is my co-designer in all things. I’ve been a cleaning maniac lately, too. We’ve always had a clean house, but I feel like nesting mode has already kicked in as I think about all the things around the house that I want to have done before baby arrives.
What I’ve Been Loving: I’m certain that I’ve felt the baby a handful of times now. It’s not consistent and I have to be paying close attention to recognize what I’m feeling, but it’s such cool sensation! Additionally, I went on my first run of this pregnancy yesterday and man, did it feel good. I’ve been afraid to run, but yesterday it just felt right. Sweating and covering a few miles really made a huge difference in my mood!
Sleep: Still not the greatest. I’m very close to buying some sort of pregnancy pillow. If you have any recommendations, I’m all ears!
Maternity Clothes? I bought a handful of dresses last week online at ASOS Maternity that don’t necessarily look “maternity” which makes them perfect for transitioning in this in-between time. I’ve never purchased anything from ASOS but I am in love with the dresses I got, especially this one and this one in navy.  Other than that, I’ve been getting buy with a lot of non-maternity items as well. Thankfully the weather is still beautiful here, so I haven’t had to transition to true cold weather clothing.
Boy or Girl: Two more weeks to go! Do you have a guess? Leave it below!

• Reply Brittany Thode September 23, 2014 at 4:02 pm

So glad to hear you are feeling better! 🙂

• Reply Annie September 23, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Madison, I am about 4 weeks ahead of you and we’ve been having very similar pregnancies and cravings. I vote you are having a girl, just like me! 🙂

• Reply Katie G September 23, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Get a bump nest pregnancy pillow! Amazing! And such cute patterns too.

• Reply Sarah Kuiper September 23, 2014 at 5:14 pm

I LOVE these posts 🙂 I’m guessing girl and that yours and Ali’s little ones will be inseparable (with either gender!)

• Reply Heather Disarro September 23, 2014 at 5:51 pm

I seriously look forward to these posts so much – I LOVE knowing how you’re doing! I’m actually starting to show already (13 weeks – yikes! Last time it was at 22…) but it definitely makes it feel more real.

I can’t wait for two weeks from now!!!

• Reply Sarah Crosby September 23, 2014 at 6:04 pm

You look so cute with that teensy baby bump!! I am guessing boy but I am ALWAYS wrong in guesses so you’ll probably be having a girl 😉 So glad you’re feeling better- take advantage of this second trimester, it’s the best of the 3. What do you feel like you’re having?

• Reply Oakland Avenue September 23, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Looking so cute! I’m guessing (and hoping) girl! Can’t wait to find out!

• Reply Rachel September 23, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Love reading these updates! I was guessing girl and then read the comments so apparently I’m not the only one 😉 🙂 I bet it will be super exciting to find out in order to decorate!

• Reply Erin September 23, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Girl! And you look beautiful!

• Reply Urban Wife September 24, 2014 at 12:40 am

Yay for feeling better! I’m not even going to guess because I’m terrible at those things, but either way I can’t wait to read about it. And you look adorable, as always. 🙂

• Reply Christin Oien September 24, 2014 at 2:23 am

So glad you are feeling better and getting to feel the baby! Not sure what you will have but no matter what he or she will change you forever! How fun!

• Reply Kindra September 24, 2014 at 2:26 am

I highly recommend the Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow, available on Amazon. It certainly helped me with back pain and sleeping through the night, especially when I couldn’t sleep on my back anymore after the first trimester. Hope it helps you feel more comfortable!

• Reply Doni September 24, 2014 at 3:13 am

I’m a side sleeper and used a pillow between my legs during my pregnancy – so comfortable – still do 20 years later!! Worth a try. When I’m on my back it’s under both legs. Needs to be a flatter pillow, not a big fluffy one.

• Reply Doni September 24, 2014 at 3:14 am

P.S My guess is a boy.

• Reply MadisonMayberry September 25, 2014 at 12:48 pm

I’ve always been a stomach sleeper so transitioning to my side has been so hard! I transitioned to my back first when I wasn’t as far along, and now I’ve been working really hard to sleep on my side using the pillow trick, too!

• Reply Sonya September 24, 2014 at 5:20 am

You are adorable!

• Reply MadisonMayberry September 25, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Thanks, Sonya! You’re too kind. Sometimes I don’t feel all that adorable. 😉

• Reply Kristin September 24, 2014 at 1:07 pm

I loooove my Snoogle! Would totally recommend it for a pregnancy pillow. I bought it with my second and really wish I’d had it for my first pregnancy too.

• Reply MadisonMayberry September 25, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Thanks for the tip, Kristin! I’ve heard great things about the Snoogle!

• Reply Candace September 24, 2014 at 2:55 pm

1) You look adorable! 2) First lesson of being a mom: you can worry about .every. little.thing. if you let your mind run…. definitely understand how hard it can be not to worry yourself. 3) Based on the fetal heart tones and how you are carrying…I bet you’re having a _____! (you know my thoughts on that stuff!) ; )

• Reply MadisonMayberry September 25, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Oh my gosh, you’re so right! I think I’m a slow learner. 🙂 And you’re absolutely right about the gender guesses based on how I’m carrying and heart rate. My heart rate would say “girl” and I guess how I’m carrying would say “boy” so that’s clear as mud. 😉

• Reply Danielle Butler September 24, 2014 at 5:05 pm

You look amazing! As for pregnancy pillow, I bought the Snoogle Chic total body pillow from amazon.com and I love it. It has made sleeping so much better. I am 19 weeks and have had it since week 16 and this has been my favorite purchase so far. The jersey pillow case is so soft and comfy. And my guess would be girl! I can’t wait to find out what you are having.

• Reply MadisonMayberry September 25, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Thanks so much, Danielle! It’s fun that we’re so close together in our pregnancies so I can get all these good tips from you. Now that we have Amazon Prime I’m finding more and more reasons to use it. Thanks for the tip on the pillow!

• Reply Jenna H. September 24, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Madison I’m wondering why you continue to use stevia as a sweetener when it has been linked to negative impacts of fertility in animals. Why not just use sugar if it’s just a pinch?

• Reply MadisonMayberry September 25, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Hi Jenna! Thanks for your question. I’m not actually familiar with the research and information you’re referring to. I would love to read more about what you’re talking about, so if you want to send the info my way, I would be appreciative! (madisonjanemayberry@gmail.com)

• Reply Jessica September 25, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Jenna’s comment piqued my curiosity. From my brief Internet search, I can’t find anything linking it to negative impacts on fertility;however, one site (http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/herb/stevia) says pregnant women should not consume it and another site (http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=21876) says that its safety in young children, pregnant or nursing women is not conclusively established. Do your medical professionals have any knowledge or opinions on your use of it?