September Goals

September 11, 2014

photo (34)

Over the last couple months I’ve really let my monthly goal-setting fall to the wayside, haven’t I? First trimester took everything out of me and goal setting was last on my list of things to do, behind basic tasks like cooking, cleaning, going to work and washing my hair more than once a week! Now that I’m staying awake past 8 pm and functioning like a normal human being again, I’m feeling inspired to start back up with goal setting as we welcome in my favorite season.

FITNESS
Do theย Tracy Anderson Pregnancy Projectย 3 to 4 times /week + Continue to Walk 5 to 6 times/week
These videos have been such a blessing to me! I’m only wishing I would have discovered them sooner. I’ve struggled a lot with knowing how much to push myself in pregnancy when it comes to fitness, especially given my history of miscarriage. Although I know many women can safely run throughout their pregnancies, pushing myself to that degree just hasn’t felt right to me, so I’ve been looking for other ways to stay fit. I was fearful that Tracy was going to be aย drill sergeant in her videos (just a notion I had about her) but she is incredibly affirming in her approach to prenatal fitness and pregnancy in general.

FINANCES
Stick to Our Budget
Two months ago, Joe and I decided to switch to a cash envelope system for discretionary purchases (aka everything other than mortgage and our auto bill pays) because I was having a tough time sticking to the budget we created in Mint. It seemed I was always looking back on the month’s spending, rather than proactively monitoring our expenditures.

Since I’m a very tactile person, having to deal with cash has been super helpful in curbing any impulse purchases. Plus, it’s fun to see the end of the month roll around when all our envelopes still have a little cash left in them. We’re already putting money away into our 401k’s and into savings each month, but with a baby on the way, it’s nice to save a little extra.

PERSONAL
Spend Less Time on Technology
Gah. Does anyone else find themselves mindlessly scrolling on their phones as they wait in line, sit on the couch and wait for the elevator? I’m finding myself guilty of mindless consumption of technology more and more, and I hate that I always feel glued to my phone. The other night Joe and I were sitting on the couch watching something on TV and I noticed that we were both mindlessly scrolling through Instagram. I don’t think there is anything wrong with Instagram, Facebook and the like, but when it takes away from face-to-face conversations, it becomes a problem. I’m making it a goal to leave my phone at home more often and give more attention to friends and family when I’m with them.

Make Time to Rest
This seems like a cheater goal, doesn’t it? Our fall is already looking super busy and very scheduled. I’m flying once in September and Joe and I are flying once in October and November, plus we have a lot of other social commitments on the calendar. Although all of the things we’re doing are fun, I’m making it a goal to be more mindful of creating restful times during the week and saying “no” when I can so that we don’t end up sick and exhausted by the time the holiday season arrives.

What about you? Do you have any specific goals for September or this fall in general? I had a friend at church say how they felt September was the new January and I loved that idea! Here’s to making September all about fresh starts!

• Reply Rachel September 11, 2014 at 8:46 pm

I think these are all great goals! I have been using the envelope system for just a few things and it has HELPED so much. I started using it to save up for our vacation to North Carolina and had saved up so much that I had “leftover” money when we returned, which immediately went to our moving fund. I now have a moving envelope, variable expenses envelope and travel envelope (used for vacations and weekend trips places). I was using Spendee for awhile but all it did was make me upset because I would break grocery or shopping budget. Anyway, hope it goes well for you guys!

My goals are to work out 4 times per week! And cook in 4 of the 5 work nights and one of the weekend nights! So I guess my Sept. goals are focused on health ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Heather Disarro September 11, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Love the technology one – I’m slowly deleting social media apps from my phone, which is hard and makes me kind of twitchy, but about a day later I’m just so glad I did it!

• Reply MadisonMayberry September 15, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Oh gosh, I can relate! But at the end of the day, how much information do I need to take in?! I’m still trying to find the balance, especially when I live an “online” life as well via the blog, as you do, too.

• Reply Breanna September 11, 2014 at 10:02 pm

I never did Tracey Anderson while pregnant (I should have) but I heard she has a great post pregnancy workout video that I can’t wait to try. Keep up the good work lady!

• Reply MadisonMayberry September 15, 2014 at 12:53 pm

I’ve heard the same, Breanna! I have loved Tracey’s videos so much this pregnancy that I’m sold on buying her post-pregnancy videos, too!

• Reply Emily Hammar September 12, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I’m glad to see the technology goal! I’m not the only one ๐Ÿ™‚ I found that I had to make specific goals for myself and not just a broad less technology goal. It’s been working and I’ve felt like a much better wife and momma. I agree that there are positives to social media but I love my newfound feeling of freedom from it. Best of luck! PS: you’re an adorable pregnant lady and you’ve been in my prayers!

• Reply MadisonMayberry September 15, 2014 at 12:53 pm

That’s so great to hear, Emily! I feel so icky sometimes when I’m face down in a phone and realize what I’m missing out on around me. It’s like a sick addiction. Looking forward unplugging more this month! Keep it up! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Urban Wife September 14, 2014 at 1:34 am

Those are great goals and I especially love (and can relate to) the technology one. We have used the cash envelope system ever since we went through Dave Ramsey’s plan a few years ago. It’s so much easier to control spending that way! Sounds like a busy fall season for you and I hope you do indeed find time to rest and recharge. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply MadisonMayberry September 15, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Oooh I’m happy to know I’m not the only one who is using the cash envelop system. I feel so old school when I’m paying with cash all the time, but it really helps make money and our budget tangible for me! One question for you: We have a Target debit card that gets us 5% off on purchases and a few other reward-based cards. Do you never use cards anymore? Or have you transitioned back to cash. I would like to eventually move back to some cards that give us $$ back for spending, especially since we always pay our balance each month.

• Reply Urban Wife September 17, 2014 at 3:12 am

Ha, now I’m the one who feels old school! ๐Ÿ™‚ We don’t have reward-based cards (we just have one credit card!) but definitely think they can be useful, depending on if the rewards are something that’s helpful. (Example: getting airline miles are always great.) I think knowing that you’ll be disciplined about paying the balance on cards each month is a great practice to have and it helps with keeping usage in check.

• Reply natalie@thesweetslife September 16, 2014 at 1:58 am

YES to these goals. I loved Tracy’s videos while pregnant and her postpartum one is also fabulous.

On another note, I have become so much more aware of my technology use with Brecken around. I refuse to let her see me with my phone constantly in my face, although it’s a temptation that’s hard to fight!

• Reply Amanda {NoDakNest} September 19, 2014 at 4:55 pm

My husband and I LOVE using the cash envelope system! We started it back in May and have already been able to pay off three of our loans! It’s crazy how money just kind of slips away when you don’t take firm control over it.