Week 16

September 17, 2014

photo

How far along are you?  16 weeks 2 days
Generally Feeling: This week I struggled again with quite a bit of nausea, which is draining because it makes finding foods that satisfy quite difficult. But overall I have SO much more energy and have been able to get a lot done, which makes up for the nausea. I’m thankful that my extra energy has been making it easy to workout consistently, too.
Showing? The last few days I feel like I’ve really started to show more. I think it may be the real thing, too, because I’ve been able to sleep through the night without needing to go to the bathroom, which I’ve heard can be a benefit of “popping” in the 2nd trimester.
Cravings? Nothing new to report. I’m still loving citrus fruits like lemons and clementines blended in the Vitamix with water and stevia. Overall, I’m really having a hard time finding anything that sounds good and my main goal seems to be finding foods that don’t make me feel sick. Toast with butter and salt is still a favorite.
Weight Gain: I haven’t been weighing myself at home, only at doctor appointments, so I won’t have another update until next week. I’m guessing 11-ish pounds
Fears: This week I really worried about our baby’s growth. Things like “fundal height” and the size of my uterus became a temporary fixation and source of worry. I think part of it is the fact that I’m hardly showing, which I realize is normal, but it makes it hard to believe that this baby is growing and developing normally despite the fact that I’m not showing much on the outside.
Looking Forward To: Decorating the nursery! My mom is coming up in a couple weeks and we’re going to really start work on decorating. We bought our first major purchase, a rocker/glider from Room and Board Outlet this past weekend, too!
What I’ve Been Loving: Joe and I started reading baby books to the baby at night before bed. Maybe it’s silly since our baby can’t really hear anything yet, but it helps us connect with our little peanut and it’s fun to get into a routine of doing something with the baby together at night.
Sleep: Not the greatest. Between the trips to the bathroom and trying to get comfortable on my side, I toss and turn quite a bit.
Maternity Clothes? Still not wearing many maternity clothes aside from my one pair of maternity jeans. I’ve been using a belly band and the old hair tie trick, because I honestly love the way my normal jeans fit SO much better than maternity jeans. I went to Old Navy this week and purchased a few non-maternity dresses that fit my body and give me a little extra wiggle room. And I purchased a few pairs of black maternity leggings from Gap that have already gotten plenty of use with this colder weather!
Boy or Girl: Waiting (impatiently!) until October 6th!

• Reply Deanna Michaels September 17, 2014 at 12:43 pm

You look adorable and I love the baby bump!!! I didn’t show early with either of mine and never got very big. It was kind-of nice. 🙂 And it’s okay if you measure a little small – I was always a couple centimeters less than weeks and more that that at the end when the baby dropped and had a 6 pound 11 ounce baby and 7 pound 3 ounce baby. I think that varies person to person!

• Reply Heather Disarro September 17, 2014 at 1:11 pm

You look so great, and I’m so glad you have more energy! The nausea is killer, but extra energy goes a looooooong way.

When I was pregnant with Wes I sang the same song to him every day (Amazing Grace), and when he was born it was the only thing that would stop him from crying because he recognized it from when he was in my belly. It was the coolest thing – totally recommend doing that 🙂

• Reply Rachel {the avid appetite} September 17, 2014 at 1:47 pm

I love these updates and I am just SO happy for you!! Enjoy every moment of your pregnancy. It goes by so fast and it is such a special time. Maternity leggings are the best!! I also recommend maternity undergarments. Once I switched, it was life changing.

• Reply Kelly Linn Feller September 17, 2014 at 3:05 pm

You look so cute Madison! I’ve been reading your blog for years and I’m so happy for you!
    XO Kelly

• Reply jesscuellar September 17, 2014 at 3:52 pm

i’m 23 weeks with baby #2 now, feeling pretty good and showing for sure! don’t worry about only showing a teeny bit so far, baby isn’t even a pound yet. you look great!

• Reply Julie September 17, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Don’t worry about not showing much yet. I think I was showing less than you when I was 16 weeks. It’s very typical not to show much early on during your 1st pregnancy (especially if your tummy muscles are tighter). We read books to my belly, too. 🙂

• Reply Jill September 17, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Your baby actually can hear your voice starting at 16 weeks, so I don’t think it’s silly at all. I am15 weeks and 5 days and am thinking of getting some headphones to put on my belly and play music. Love these posts!

• Reply Urban Wife September 17, 2014 at 6:33 pm

I am just loving these updates, Madison! They will be something you’ll look back on someday and cherish that you took the time to write them down. You also look amazing!

• Reply Chase September 17, 2014 at 7:43 pm

It’s such a hard wait to find out if it’s a boy or girl!! Plus you get to see so much of baby’s anatomy at that 20 week ultrasound – it’s really great to get to see them again!

• Reply Rachel September 17, 2014 at 8:39 pm

AH! You are seriously glowing!!!!!!!! Love this! Thanks for the update! I can’t wait for your update on whether you are having a boy or girl!

• Reply Kerry @ XO Kerry September 17, 2014 at 9:34 pm

You look great! Jealous that you find out the gender 3 days before me! My anatomy scan is scheduled for the 9th. Can’t wait to see what you do in the nursery.

• Reply samaeby September 18, 2014 at 4:20 am

Oh my gosh! You look adorable! That is a great color on you, too.

• Reply Bridget Black September 18, 2014 at 1:37 pm

This is so so so very exciting!!! Thanks for sharing these photos and your updates. I can’t imagine the varied emotions, excitement, fear and faith you are working through each hour of the day. Praying for you and Joe! God is so good!

• Reply MrsDevine September 19, 2014 at 7:48 pm

I found your blog through a random recipe I was googling for and just adore your whole blog. Congrats on the pregnancy Momma, how exciting! We’re TTC our 3rd (1st is daughter, Ava who was stillborn and 2nd is our son Ben, who is a twenty-month old toddler tornado). I know how scary pregnancy can be after something goes wrong, so all your worries are completely valid. Thanks for sharing your journey, I’m looking forward to seeing updates for the next 24(ish) weeks!

• Reply Wanda Jollymore September 21, 2014 at 2:13 am

Congratulations to you and Joey!