Pregnancy, Uncategorized

23 Weeks

November 4, 2014

23 weeks

How far along are you? 23 weeks 2 days
Cravings? Still no real cravings. I continue to prefer salty over sweet and have found that a few items I never ate in the past have made their way into my diet. Take, for example, the fact that I had my first hot dog (a very expensive organic, nitrate-free, grass fed hot dog, that is) in YEARS and it tasted amazing. I’ve continued to love juice like orange juice and grapefruit juice and fruit as well as pasta.
Weight Gain: At my 22 week appointment I was up 15 pounds. I won’t have another update until next week.
Fears: I’ve continued to feel very peaceful about how the little one is growing and progressing. Kicks are still going strong and getting stronger by the day, which is fun but it’s also a very strange feeling. I’ve been feeling a little nervous about how little I’ve read about childbirth, breastfeeding and newborn care/sleep. I think it’s because I spent so much of my early pregnancy afraid our baby wouldn’t make it, and now that things are going well I just don’t have the desire to read much for fear that it will give me yet another thing to worry or stress about. Catch 22, huh?
Generally Feeling: Still feeling great! I notice that when I’m getting up in the morning my body is a little stiff and I have to move more slowly for a few minutes after getting out of bed, but other than that I feel really good.
Looking Forward To: The holiday season. I don’t know why, but I’ve been particularly excited to be pregnant through the holidays. It’s always been one of my favorite times of year, and I can only imagine it will be more enjoyable this year.
What I’ve Been Loving: I’m finding it so fun to slowly put together our baby registry. It’s fun to think about our baby actually using all of the things we’re registering for!
Maternity Clothes? Yes! I really should cut myself off from purchasing anything else new for a while. I recently bought this dress from ASOS Maternity and this dress in grey from Target that I absolutely love. I also got these tights from Athleta that I sized up in and they’re the most comfortable thing I think I’ve ever owned. Also, if you have any recommendations for maternity coats, I would welcome the advice!
Boy or Girl: Keeping it a surprise until March!

• Reply Tessa November 4, 2014 at 6:39 pm

I LOVED being pregnant through the holidays (I had my little guy January 1st of this year so I was like a waddling penguin during Christmas), it is so fun to watch the other kiddos and picture your little one experiencing the same thing the following year! I also had trouble finding a reasonably priced maternity coat last year, but ended up buying the black “Motherhood Maternity Quilted Puffer Coat” from Macy’s, regularly priced at $90 (I used a 20% off promo code), it was great for the “polar vortex” winter we had and well worth the investment.
    Don’t worry about the reading, just go to a couple classes that your hospital offers closer to baby’s arrival, reading too much can be overwhelming! I also recommend going to prenatal yoga classes (and I am not a yoga person), it was wonderful to share with other ladies, get a good stretch in, and connect with your baby in a different way. I enjoy reading the updates on your journey into motherhood 🙂

• Reply MadisonMayberry November 4, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Oh, Tessa, I love hearing from someone who was celebrating the holidays last year while pregnant. How fun! And thanks so much for the tip on Motherhood Maternity. I just looked it up and saw that they have a puffer coat with expandable panels. Love that it could transition with me as I’m growing over the winter. I know that living in Minnesota, going without a maternity winter coat isn’t an option! Thanks for the tip!

• Reply Kristen November 4, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Where is that scarf from?!

• Reply MadisonMayberry November 4, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Kristen , it’s from Target! I just purchased it a few weeks ago after looking everywhere for a huge “blanket scarf” and being unwilling to shell out the extra $$ for the one from Madewell. 😉

• Reply Urban Wife November 5, 2014 at 12:59 am

Yes! Being pregnant during the holidays is amazing but even more so is the year your baby gets to experience it for the first time. 🙂 I love that scarf!

• Reply Holly November 5, 2014 at 1:29 am

I had a hard time justifying the high cost of a maternity coat, so I found a great deal on a pea coat/trench coat in the men’s section at Nordstrom rack and had my tailor add snaps inside. When they were snapped it looked like darts or pleats from the outside and then it was also a coat my husband could wear after the baby arrived. The tailor added 3 sets of snaps per side so I could snap accordingly as I grew.
    Best of luck,
    Holly

• Reply Sarah November 5, 2014 at 12:59 pm

I loved being pregnant during the holidays! My little guy arrived in May – and, like you, after several miscarriages. I didn’t read anything – and the birthing process, breastfeeding, sleep “schedule”… everything worked out. I felt like I could read all I want, but everything really depended on my baby, once he arrived.

I had a swing coat – much like this one: http://us.asos.com/ASOS-Maternity-Exclusive-Swing-Coat/11dgza/?iid=3210235&clr=Black&SearchQuery=maternity+coat&pgesize=24&pge=1&totalstyles=24&gridsize=3&gridrow=1&gridcolumn=2&mporgp=L2Fzb3MtbWF0ZXJuaXR5L2Fzb3MtbWF0ZXJuaXR5LWV4Y2x1c2l2ZS1zd2luZy1jb2F0L3Byb2Qv

I loved it! Although, I got SO HOT that I’d be seen in 20 degree weather with no coat! Oh, pregnancy.

• Reply Brittany Thode November 5, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Madison, do you have any tips or tricks for how to improve one’s “Fix” with Stitch Fix? I love the company, and just had my second Fix. The second was much closer to what I was looking for, but still not quite on par. I have a Pinterest board and leave feedback as much as I can. I’m hoping to schedule another ASAP – I’d love something from them to wear around Christmas and New Years. Do you find it helps to request something specific (ex. dressy maternity blouses)? Appreciate your advice!