Protein Lactation Bites

April 8, 2015

photo (75)

The first six weeks of life with a baby have been eventful, to say the least, and those weeks have thrown my eating for a loop! I had grand visions of eating a huge meal after delivery, but surprisingly I found myself barely able to eat for a day after delivery and, in fact, my appetite was dampened for a good part of the first week postpartum. Pair that with the fact that I got a horrible case of stomach flu when Ainsley was 4 weeks old that took away my appetite for a week and a half and my eating has been sporadic at best since she arrived.

I started to get a little worried about maintaining my milk supply after getting hit hard with the flu. The dehydration took a big toll on my body and I realized there was no way I was getting enough nutrients in my system to make up for the calories lost during breastfeeding. So when my sister-in-law, Amber, posted this healthy recipe for Protein Balls on her Instagram page, I thought it would be a great recipe to tweak in hopes of boosting lactation. I mean I love Lactation Cookies but I was looking for something a little healthier for frequent consumption. An added bonus? These bites are super quick to whip up and much faster than baking a batch of cookies.

I’ve kept a double batch of these babies in our freezer for snacks throughout the week when I only have one hand and a couple minutes to spare, which happens more often than I would have ever imagined pre-baby!

Protein Lactation Bites
Author:
Recipe type: Snack
Serves: 10

Ingredients
  • ½ cup rolled oats
  • ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
  • ½ cup chocolate protein powder
  • ¼ cup honey
  • 1 Tablespoon brewer's yeast
  • 1 Tablespoon ground flax
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Instructions
  1. Combine all the above ingredients together in a food processor and process until mixture starts to come together. Roll into balls. Store in the refrigerator or covered in a plastic container.

• Reply Valerie April 8, 2015 at 2:33 pm

These look super easy and tasty! Is brewer’s yeast just regular yeast? I’ve never heard of it before!

• Reply Kelly April 8, 2015 at 4:36 pm

No it’s not regular yeast. It’s totally different. It’s in powder form. I bought mine at Bulk Barn. You can get it at any bulk food store or health food store.

• Reply Ashley Gehlhar April 8, 2015 at 3:16 pm

I’ve been researching protein powder and have no idea where to start. There are SO many now. What do you recommend for a nursing mama? Thanks!

• Reply Heather Disarro April 8, 2015 at 3:43 pm

NEED THIS MORE THAN I CAN SAY!

• Reply Urban Wife April 8, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Yes, much better than snacking on cookies all day long. 😉 Thanks for sharing this version. Can’t wait to try them.

• Reply Andrea April 9, 2015 at 1:39 am

Yum! I second the question about protein powder. I keep meaning to buy some (I’m off dairy while I’m nursing) but I get overwhelmed by all the options at the store!

• Reply Sarah Crosby April 9, 2015 at 3:51 am

yum. definitely adding these in with my next babe!

• Reply Link Love: what I've been reading... - The Balanced Life July 22, 2015 at 10:00 am

[…] saving this recipe for Protein Lactation Bites in case I need them in the future. They sound yummy! (Espresso and […]