Food & Recipes

A Smoothie A Day

January 5, 2016

Smoothie_1

Immediately after having Ainsley, I started on a major smoothie kick. I’ve always loved smoothies, but with a little one they became a necessity for getting a lot of nutrition into one easy-to-prepare meal.

I’m planning on doing a post later in the year on protein powders and how to choose one that’s best for you, but until then, I thought I would share with you my g0-to smoothie. I drink one almost every day for either breakfast or lunch, although usually lunch since I like a hot breakfast like oatmeal most days.

The protein powder I like contains both greens (including spinach, kale and broccoli) and protein so it’s filling and I like knowing I’m getting a few servings of greens in the middle of the day! Sometimes I’ll even use this as a dessert replacement when my sweet tooth is a little out of control. Here’s my go-to recipe below.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Smoothie
1 cup milk (either almond or whole/2% milk, depending on the day)
1 handful ice
1 medium frozen banana, cut into pieces
1 scoop chocolate protein powder
1 tablespoon PB2 powdered peanut butter or natural peanut butter

Directions
Blend all the ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Add additional ice to reach desired consistency (I like my smoothies super thick, almost like milkshakes!) Enjoy immediately.

• Reply Kristen January 7, 2016 at 3:14 am

Any substitutes for banana? I like the idea of a quick, healthy meal, but so many smoothie recipes call for bananas and I can’t stand them!

• Reply Madison Mayberry January 8, 2016 at 3:13 pm

I had someone else ask me the same question! I’m wondering if you could soak 1/4 cup of rolled oats in milk until they soften and blend them into the smoothie? The bananas add a lot of thickness, which is why I love them. Otherwise perhaps you could use chia seeds or avocado?

• Reply Melanie@Toots + Dill January 10, 2016 at 4:02 am

I love smoothies!! I haven’t added a lot of peanut butter to them so I’m going to have to try this! Thank you for the recipe!

• Reply monday: best of last week | The Misadventures of Kelly and Kelly January 11, 2016 at 1:04 pm

[…] a peanut butter chocolate smoothie recipe […]

• Reply Andrea January 11, 2016 at 6:53 pm

I’ve been doing lots of smoothies lately but I have never ventured into protein powder. Looking forward to your round up! My other new favorite is acai bowls–have you tried those?

• Reply ali grace | cookies and grace January 12, 2016 at 12:22 am

I am a smoothie girl, too! I got a new blender for Christmas so I’m not stopping my smoothie obsession any time soon. Quick question for ya – what’s the benefit of the peanut butter powder? I’ve put actual scoops of PB or almond butter in them before… but I’m curious about the powder!

• Reply Inisha Hoehamer January 12, 2016 at 4:33 am

I love making smoothies. We try to have a smoothie for 1 meal every week. I like the idea of having 1 a day though! This one sounds delicious!